Emission help please 87 wrangler - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Emission help please 87 wrangler

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #16
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you have high HC readings your EGR valve may not be working correctly.

kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #17
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check post #5 here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...jumper-754240/

The thread has info on where the high altitude jumper is and how to test to see if it's hooked up or not.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #18
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The engine is all stock the mechanic gapped the plugs and did all the vacuum lines we are going to hook up the high altitude adjuster I will change my oil to the 20 w 50 I know the mechanic is setting everything to factory specs but I did buy 3:73 gears because people said that would help because the engine wouldn't work so hard at higher speeds then the 4:56 gears in there now the guy who sold me the gears said I should change my distributor to hei when we get the gears in we will retest this time were making sure o2 sensor is working high alitude adjuster is hooked up and heavier oil and I will check the air filter again but I just changed after cleaning the motor and I'm going to check the sensor in the air cleaner
Alphasolder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

HEI will disable your computer and o2 sensor. Will not help you pass.
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #20
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think any upgrades have been made to engine it's all stock all vacuum lines were done by mechanic I will try the heavier oil and I am having the high altitude adjuster hooked up the plugs were gapped at recommended specs by mechanic the mechanic said mixing the e85 with my gas would make it burn cleaner were going to put in the new gears 3:73 getting rid of 4:56 gears and lockers so I can drive in winter and get some highway gears so I'm not at such a high rpm going 75 but I still want to go off roading too I don't know I just want to plate it and drive it finally
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for telling me about the hei that was the next thing I was thinking about
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #22
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I can put a new carb on but I just bought this one
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #23
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphasolder View Post
You can't register as historic here for classic plates it has to be 1975 or older now. You don't think you could pass with a carb here in Colorado. I'm having the o2 sensor checked and the nutter bypass done. As of today I have also did new spark plugs and points plus put in Moab and we cleaned the motor again with 109 engine cleaner we have e85 in it and we're doing the high altitude adjuster and I removed the full time locker in the rear end. I'm really running out of ideas here what else can it be that causes a engine to run to rich or stopping the fuel from burning all the way????
Couple of things E85 will definitely NOT work (or are you thinking of the 5-10% alcohol/gas mix commonly sold at stations).

Tire size etc won't change test results unless they do it on a dyno.. is that what they are doing there?

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #24
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I know about the alcohol thing but they put in e85 and yes it has to go on a dyno
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #25
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

E85 can damage systems that are not designed for it. It attacks seals, corrodes metal parts and can damage sensors.

NEVER use E85 in a non flex fuel engine.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #26
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

On your high altitude jumper, it is located in different places on different year models. Check the Jeep service manual for your year.

Also, there is a Factory Service bulletin that details the additional adjustments and settings that must be mad when using the high altitude jumper. Colorado Jeep dealers should all have it. It isn't as simple as hooking it up and all problems are gone.

The service manual also has pages devoted to properly adjusting the internals of your carburetor.
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #27
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What else do you have to do? I don't have a owners manual. I talked to a state emission guy today he said he never heard of it but did find it in the diagrams. He thinks its the o2 sensor or a problem with the carb.
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #28
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Search factory service manual and look for my screen name. I linked up the 87 FSM. It will have the info you need
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #29
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Factory service manuals are available in PDF fre on line. I have the 90 , qnd yours should be the same, but a quick search should find the 87 for you. The 90 is here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Zq...hl=en_US&pli=1

If you have to do this every year or two, and can not do the work yourself, it is far cheaper to switch to an approved fuel injection system, or swap in a 4.0 engine.
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #30
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
Search factory service manual and look for my screen name. I linked up the 87 FSM. It will have the info you need
You type quicker than me. I knew I had seen the 87 manual, glad to see you offer it again.

Do you have the FSB on jumper use and adjustments? It is mentioned on page 14-125 in my manual.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.