Emission help please 87 wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Emission help please 87 wrangler

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Emission help please 87 wrangler

I just bought a 87 jeep and it won't pass Colorado emissions. We have bought a new carb and did all vacuum lines, cleaned mother of carbon, used e-85, has 33 inch tires I have been told to go buy smaller tires and it should pass emissions I don't understand why that would help but we also put a new cat on a California rated one oil change charcoal canister still is good it suffers from high co and high hc any help would be appreciated thanks

Alphasolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

man, this is like an epidemic right now. lots of people are not passing.

i guess you have a 4.2? your going to have to list the carb and tell everyone what the timing is set at and a bunch of other stuff
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If you are running the computer, you need to hook up the high altitude jumper in Co, else you are running too rich.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What is or where does a high altitude adjuster go and how do you do it. It has the oem carb and timing is set at recommend spec what other info do you need? Yes I have the 4.2 motor.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphasolder View Post
What is or where does a high altitude adjuster go and how do you do it. It has the oem carb and timing is set at recommend spec what other info do you need? Yes I have the 4.2 motor.
It is a circuit jumper. It is mentioned in the factory manual and possibly the owners manual (not sure on that one, don't have one).

There are threads on it here, but the search is so wonky, not sure you can find it. A bing search on this site is your best bet if you can't find a factory manual.
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Would a nutter bypass help me with emissions in Colorado
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphasolder View Post
Would a nutter bypass help me with emissions in Colorado
Might if you have a crackerjack carb guy that knows the 258s and their quirks.
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Musicdude001

I'm in colorado too. I've been working on a 1990 yj for my sons 1st jeep and it was having a difficult time passing emissions. I finally just bought a used howell tbi kit ($600) and it passed with flying colors. Probably not what you want to hear but for me it was totally worth it. Increased performance and piece of mind that it will start each and every time without any worries.
Musicdude001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Xzero117
1990 YJ Wrangler 

if you nutter it and fine tune the carb or better yet swap it out for a weber you should pass

can't you register the jeep as historic ? it's already 26 years old

i'm sorry if that's a dumb suggestion, here in nj once it's registered historic you don't have to take an emission's test
Xzero117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You can't register as historic here for classic plates it has to be 1975 or older now. You don't think you could pass with a carb here in Colorado. I'm having the o2 sensor checked and the nutter bypass done. As of today I have also did new spark plugs and points plus put in Moab and we cleaned the motor again with 109 engine cleaner we have e85 in it and we're doing the high altitude adjuster and I removed the full time locker in the rear end. I'm really running out of ideas here what else can it be that causes a engine to run to rich or stopping the fuel from burning all the way????
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1.Why the hell are you running E85?
2. How many miles are on the jeep? My guess over 160k
3. What kind of oil are you running?
4 You don't have points in your distributor.
5. Your cat is most likely junk. You have a huge vacuum leak between you intake and exhaust gaskets
6. You probably have an oil soaked air filter as well.
7. Try 10w40 or even 20w50 oil to compensate for you loss of compression.
8. Replace your cat and O2 sensor.
9. If that doesn't work swap it to a 4.0 and quit screwing around and wasting money
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If you nutter, the oxygen sensor will not work. You are supposed to remove the computer from the jeep when you do the nutter, as well as the sol-vac.

If you have points, your ignition is really screwed up
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

so you are allowed to swap carbs as long as it passes the emissions check? some states require all original equipment in order to pass.
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
Alphasolder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The pictures I show does not show that with the nutter just working with the purple and orange wires then setting distributor to 8 btd and I'm just telling you what mechanic and I have done it has a new cat we put in a heavy duty cat
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

E85 may be doing more harm than good. These motors weren't designed to run on it. Changing the tires and removing the locker wont effect your emissions any. Start with the basics:

-check for any vacuum leaks using carb cleaner, WD40, starter fluid, et cetera
-research and connect the high altitude jumper wire
-if your engine is high mileage then run a thicker oil (prior to rebuilding my 4.2 i ran Valvoline VR1 20W-50 which the motor LOVED)
-what did you gap your plugs at?
-what work has been done to the motor? is it all stock? if your not sure then post some pictures for us to at least get a better idea of what we're dealing with.
tslroper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.