:!emergency!: i need a new flywheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > :!emergency!: i need a new flywheel

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

:!emergency!: i need a new flywheel

I need a new flywheel, but I don't know if I need one with trigger teeth, or one without. If its any help, its an 87, 4.2, 5 speed, laredo. I can also send a pic through text or email if it'll help. Please I need help asap.

bigorangeyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
FOURWALLYS
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Can you pull the starter and see from there? 20 minute job on and off.
Unread 04-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've already got the starter off, and the tranny on the ground, what's your email, I'm doin this on my phone so I can't post pics but I can do it through email or text
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigorangeyj View Post
I need a new flywheel, but I don't know if I need one with trigger teeth, or one without. If its any help, its an 87, 4.2, 5 speed, laredo. I can also send a pic through text or email if it'll help. Please I need help asap.
You should be able to put any 4.0 or 4.2 liter flywheel on that engine. The flywheel bolt pattern and size are the same, the notches for the crank position sensor won't matter since you don't use one, so as long as the ring gear has the correct number of teeth (and I believe that they do), you should be good to go. I fitted a flywheel from a 2005 4.0 onto a 4.2 and put a YJ flywheel onto the 2005 (I converted the 2005 to OBD1 and needed to YJ style notches).
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ok i got it, the problem was that i didnt know what trigger teeth were. fyi i didnt need them.

id say its got a few hard spots
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

heres where i had a little trouble getting a bolt out.

heres everything on the ground once i finally got it out.
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

so im picking up my new flywheel and probably master cylinder tomorrow around lunch time, and hopefully will take it out tomorrow night.
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
FOURWALLYS
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Any way you can attach pics, for some reason I can't see them. I'm doing my clutch in 2 weeks and am studying up as much as possible before I tear into it.
Unread 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigorangeyj View Post
http://webmail.aol.com/31226-111/aim-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=40000841&folder=Inbox&partId=1

http://webmail.aol.com/31226-111/aim...Inbox&partId=2
You can't just link to images that are in your email. They need to be put on a site like photobucket first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.