Elmers Glue in my gas tank -- Advice. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Elmers Glue in my gas tank -- Advice.

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #31
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewhampshireYJ View Post
**ATTENTION ALL 4 BANGERS!!!!!**

No need for the trip to the hobby store for your elmers glue HP upgrade.

YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN!

Ingredients:

* 1 quart skim milk
* 3/4 Tbsp. baking soda
* 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
* 10 oz. water

Directions:
Place milk and vinegar in a double boiler. Cook on low heat and stir as curds form. Drain off liquid. Wash remaining mass with water until the vinegar smell is gone. Put in a clean bowl. Dissolve baking soda in water. Pour over curds and stir until a white paste forms. Place in re sealable containers.
I was just waiting for pour into gas tank.

pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #32
NewhampshireYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
I was just waiting for pour into gas tank.

Edited......
NewhampshireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #33
Ininkus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Forgive us, we've all overlooked a few essential questions here...

1. Are you sure it was Elmers? Everything changes if we're talking the knock-off stuff.

2. Seriously... who has the kind of time (or a reason) to re-bottle Elmer's Glue? I've never seen my kid using that stuff and get frustrated and yell "Ahhh! IF ONLY THIS STUFF WAS IN A LUCAS BOTTLE!"

Thanks for letting us have some fun with this one. I do hope it hasn't caused you too many issues. And for those questioning it... YES, this is ABSOLUTELY tech related and 100% on topic

Cheers
Ininkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #34
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I agree, I was wondering the same thing. How does he know it was even glue. I'd drop the tank clean it out and replace the filter.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #35
NewhampshireYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I agree, I was wondering the same thing. How does he know it was even glue. I'd drop the tank clean it out and replace the filter.

NewhampshireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #36
Clevs
1988 YJ Wrangler 

^^^
Nice Work!!
Clevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #37
whiteyj1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Here is the write up I went by: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/add-5-gallons-your-yjs-gas-tank-less-than-1-2-hour-516115/

As far as where the fuel filter is, mine is in the tank below the electric pump. That is why I said it would get plugged soon. I amay have been out of line thinking that you had a electric fuel pump also.

As far as the rest of you go. Keep it up this is the funniest thread in a long time.
the one in your tank is not a filter it is just a screen you have a filter located on the frame rail just as stated in a previous post. if its not there you have more problems than the guy with glue in his tank
Unread 04-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #38
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewhampshireYJ View Post

That's funny right there
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #39
Urb4nTr0ll
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I don't know who in the world put glue in a Lucas bottle, but it sure suckered me.

It was laying around a bunch of other bottles that are related to automotive work such as oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid, WD-40 and a few tools. I started looking around and there stood out the bottle of Lucus.

The glue I poured into a cup and mixed with gas didn't quite dissolve with the gas, but remained in a liquidy form.

My jeep is still running with no signs of problems and I've been driving for 6 hrs straight on the same gas tank.

I'll post an update this Friday to see what happens.

The weird thing is that I thought I hear a minor bang, almost like a fart sound coming out of my Jeep, but I'm not sure what it was. It has never happened before the glue incident.

Will update. I'll also try to get pictures. =-)
Urb4nTr0ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 05:12 AM   #40
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyj1994 View Post
the one in your tank is not a filter it is just a screen you have a filter located on the frame rail just as stated in a previous post. if its not there you have more problems than the guy with glue in his tank

Good to know about the filter on my frame. Althought the screen is also considered a filter. The frame filter will stop smaller particales than the screen I would hope.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #41
smoke_20
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urb4nTr0ll View Post
Honestly, I don't know who in the world put glue in a Lucas bottle, but it sure suckered me.

It was laying around a bunch of other bottles that are related to automotive work such as oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid, WD-40 and a few tools. I started looking around and there stood out the bottle of Lucus.

The glue I poured into a cup and mixed with gas didn't quite dissolve with the gas, but remained in a liquidy form.

My jeep is still running with no signs of problems and I've been driving for 6 hrs straight on the same gas tank.

I'll post an update this Friday to see what happens.

The weird thing is that I thought I hear a minor bang, almost like a fart sound coming out of my Jeep, but I'm not sure what it was. It has never happened before the glue incident.

Will update. I'll also try to get pictures. =-)
This guy can't be real. I think the username explains it all, heavy on the TROLL.
smoke_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #42
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Accidents happen but I think I would've blamed the kid.... No way I would post this. I would still take the tank off and clean it out. When ou run low this stuff might get into all kinds of things........
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #43
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJTV8XJ View Post
I must have bought a different filter because mine filters out the sediment/dirt/rust particles in the fuel!

you got ripped off then because my filter takes all of the rust/dirt/sediment OUTof the fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #44
Berb_15
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckinauster View Post
you got ripped off then because my filter takes all of the rust/dirt/sediment OUTof the fuel.
which is exactly what the other guy said to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyj1994 View Post
A screen is a form of a filter.

Did you end up cleaning the tank out or disconnecting the hoses to see how far it went? If it were me I'd just remove the fuel lines first and check to see if it actually got into you tank, a teaspoon of thick glue may not have even gotten that far... Maybe do this before you fill up next time since it is quick. Let us know what you do or find out
Unread 04-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #45
Samgler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So how did the experiment go? Did it dissolve?
(o)_) (o)_)=o)_)
^^^^^^^^^^^ 1995 YJ Sahara, 4.0L 5spd

Rubicon Express 4.5 extreme duty lift, SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft. Mickey Thompson MTZ 33x12.5R15 on d windows.
Samgler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.