Electronic Speedometer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electronic Speedometer

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-21-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
COJAM

Electronic Speedometer

Does anyone have any experience with an electronic speedometer sender and a NP231? I need to know that the thread size is where the cable goes into the t-case. Nothing on dash is stock so I am adding an electric speedo.

Unread 03-21-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COJAM
I need to know that the thread size is where the cable goes into the t-case.
The cable doesn't go into the tcase. There is a plastic unit that goes in the tcase, and the speedo cable attaches to that. On later years (like my '93), the plastic adapter has an electrical connection on it. The 3 wire circuit is Plus/Gnd/Sig. The Sig line flops back and forth between Plus and Gnd with 8k pulses/mile. My Jeep had the Plus fed from the PCM as 8V. After I swapped my motor (new PCM), I used a normal 12V line for Plus and all works fine.
Unread 03-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
COJAM

Huh? I wonder if I could just get a sender for a 93 and up and use it with an autometer speedometer.
Unread 03-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
sjlplat

...Or you could go with a GPS speedo and never worry about cables or sending units again.
sjlplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlplat
...Or you could go with a GPS speedo and never worry about cables or sending units again.
Do they have output lines to feed the VSS sig to the vehicle's PCM?
Unread 03-21-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
sjlplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Do they have output lines to feed the VSS sig to the vehicle's PCM?
Don't know about that one. The ones I've seen are a 3-wire connection. Positive power, Ground, and background lighting.
Unread 03-21-2005, 02:43 PM   #7
COJAM

That's an idea. Do you have an example of one. That may be an idea.
Unread 03-21-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
sjlplat

http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/Pr...SubCategory=42

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...7&autoview=sku

Xtreme Offroad Mag has a short article on one.
Unread 03-21-2005, 03:00 PM   #9
xeon

WOW! That is totally AWESOME!

My Speedo keeps busting gears and this would be great when I do my Vortec swap! WOW Thanks for the info!
Unread 03-21-2005, 03:06 PM   #10
sjlplat

Somethin' else you engine-swappers might be interested in:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239524

Unread 03-21-2005, 03:59 PM   #11
COJAM

that aint cheep is it.
Unread 03-21-2005, 04:18 PM   #12
sjlplat

Get into those specialty gauges, and it can get pricey.
Unread 03-21-2005, 04:25 PM   #13
kg6mti
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
The cable doesn't go into the tcase. There is a plastic unit that goes in the tcase, and the speedo cable attaches to that. On later years (like my '93), the plastic adapter has an electrical connection on it. The 3 wire circuit is Plus/Gnd/Sig. The Sig line flops back and forth between Plus and Gnd with 8k pulses/mile. My Jeep had the Plus fed from the PCM as 8V. After I swapped my motor (new PCM), I used a normal 12V line for Plus and all works fine.
Just for information so that nobody is confused. That electrical connection is not a speed sending unit. That is the vehicle speed sensor. All this unit does is communicate to the PCM that the vehicle is in motion nothing more nothing less. It does not translate into actual speed in MPH.

Unread 03-21-2005, 05:02 PM   #14
sjlplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mti
Just for information so that nobody is confused. That electrical connection is not a speed sending unit. That is the vehicle speed sensor. All this unit does is communicate to the PCM that the vehicle is in motion nothing more nothing less. It does not translate into actual speed in MPH.

Partly correct -- That is the VSS, but it does more than send a signal that the vehicle is in motion. It sends a signal to the PCM in terms of pulses. The PCM translate the pulses into an electrical signal, which is sent to the speedometer. The speedometer translates the electrical signal from the PCM into the actual speed display.
Unread 03-21-2005, 05:06 PM   #15
COJAM

anyway back to my original question. I am not going to use stock guages, tach or speedo. I need a programable speedo because I cannot fit the cable behind the new dash I had made. I need to know if anyone has experience with the sending unit so I can order one up.

Autometer makes a good speedo but I need to know if thier sender will work with my np231.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.