Electronic speedo in my 87? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electronic speedo in my 87?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Electronic speedo in my 87?

Wondering about the options out there for installing an electronic read speedometer in an 87, can a person purchase one out of a 92+ without the need to upgrade other electronics? Or would I need to go aftermarket?

Or would I just be better off using a standard SYE w/ mechanical speed output?

Unread 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am curious on this as well???

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilfieldCowboy View Post
Or would I just be better off using a standard SYE w/ mechanical speed output?
This is what i did - I was trying to keep things simple - Mostly due to the fact that I didn't feel like adding the wiring needed to acomplish the electronic speedo - you would have to add it in from the TC to the dash

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn
This is what i did - I was trying to keep things simple - Mostly due to the fact that I didn't feel like adding the wiring needed to acomplish the electronic speedo - you would have to add it in from the TC to the dash
I'm not concerned about adding wiring, and prefer the idea of the super short SYE that comes only with electric speed sensor.
Unread 11-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

You'll need to run 3 wires (if memory serves) to the TC - Hot, cold and signal, but I don't know which one is which in the plug
You'll need to get the wiring schematic for a 92-95 YJ and make sure how the wires are connected on both ends
I would think the speedo from a 92-95 would fit right into place and the illumination lights should pop right in
Get the connection plugs (pigtails) from whatever donor you find
Solder all the connections you can for durability/reliability
Good luck!
And post up your results - I would be interested to know how it turns out

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

For an electronic factory style speedo, you would have to have the factory style ecm. The ECM reads the signal from the VSS and then sends another signal to the speedo itself. That means completely different wiring harness. You are looking at a major PITA to do all that just for the speedo. You could use an aftermarket self contained unit such as Dakota Digital units that are out there, but they are alot of $$. This unit is for a CJ and is about $800:
(Pic from Jeff S on this forum).
SSRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRx7 View Post
This unit is for a CJ and is about $800:
(Pic from Jeff S on this forum).
Oh lordy that is sexy

That, with a flat dash in the YJ...

edit:

Just got off the phone with the Novak boys, most of the electronic installations they are doing in the older jeeps are using the pictured Dakota Digital setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.