Electronic (no speedo gear) SYE kits...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electronic (no speedo gear) SYE kits...?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 08-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Electronic (no speedo gear) SYE kits...?

Hey guys, I am gearing up to get a tummy tuck and frame repair done and in preperations, I will need to get a SYE.

My question is: if I get the SYE I really want (JB Conversions Super Short) how hard is it to set up so the completely electronic speedo sensor reads correctly? Or should I set my sights on a speedo gear type SYE?

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bump for the morning crew...

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I can't believe no one has answered this.

You have it made.
Because your YJ already has the electronic speedo, installing the super short SYE is all to easy. The new sensor that comes with it plugs right into your wiring harness like the original.

According to JB Conversion web page on this subject, in order to calibrate it you buy a kit or change the speedo to an adjustable one.

After reading on it more, I can see where thier setup has some advantages.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I knew my 93 is not cable driven, but I thought it still used a speedo gear with a different tooth count to adjust the speed output on the speedometer...? The JB Super short has an electronic transducer gizmo instead of the speedo gear... doesn't that change things...? Will I have to get my computer flashed before it will read?

Unread 08-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You probably wouldn't find anyone to flash the ECU even if you needed to have this done, but I don't think you need that. The gears in the 231 will compensate for wheel size and gearing configurations, but with this unit, it appears you can adjust the pulse pattern without gears - why don't you give the manufacturer a call and have them explain exactly what you'd need to do this? Zeus87gn mentioned that there was a kit to do this adjustment, the manufacturer might have a pdf file to send you explaining this and giving you the min and max limits of this adjustment.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons
- why don't you give the manufacturer a call and have them explain exactly what you'd need to do this? Zeus87gn mentioned that there was a kit to do this adjustment, the manufacturer might have a pdf file to send you explaining this and giving you the min and max limits of this adjustment.
Yeah, I will do that... I figured someone already had this one installed and they'd set me straight.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.