Electronic gauges to wire driven? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electronic gauges to wire driven?

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
ryanfivetwo
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Electronic gauges to wire driven?

Is there any way to change my gauges from electronic to wire driven ones?

ryanfivetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
ryanfivetwo
1992 YJ Wrangler 

my stock ones are not worth saving. . .
Unread 03-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfivetwo View Post
Is there any way to change my gauges from electronic to wire driven ones?
so just to make sure i understand...

you want to remove your 92's electronic gauges and go back in time to cable driven?!?!?

and im assuming you mean the MPH? right?

if so.. easy enough.. just swap out the tail housing from your tcase and install a cable driven unit from a pre 90 YJ.. just make sure you take the cable and gauge from that same YJ..

have to admit.. youre the first i see who wants to do this..
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
ryanfivetwo
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i don't really want to but my speedo and tach were cut from behind by previous owner. i cant find any replacements that don't require my first born.
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just did what you are thinking of and the parts to convert to a cable driven speedo were over a hundred bucks. Stock gauges come on ebay for less then that pretty often. Its up to you though if you want aftermarket gauges now seems like a pretty good time.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfivetwo View Post
i don't really want to but my speedo and tach were cut from behind by previous owner. i cant find any replacements that don't require my first born.
PM "cjinpa".. he might have a gauge set, tell him i sent ya..
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I can understand his wanting to go to a cable driven speedometer. The cable driven speedometer in 87 to 91 YJ's are cheap to buy. The 92 to 95 electronic gauges are by far more expensive. But as stated the parts to convert to a cable driven speedo add up to more than a set of electronic replacement gauges.
If you want to go to a cable driven speedometer you will need the sending unit for the transfercase from a 91YJ. This part will be hard to find and probably expensive. Reason being, 91 YJ's were the only year with a cable driven speedometer as well as an electronis VSS sensor. You need the VSS;

VEHICLE DISTANCE (SPEED) SENSOR - ENGINE CONTROLLER INPUT
The distance sensor is located in the extension housing of the transmission (2WD) or on the transfer case extension housing(4WD). The sensor input is used by the engine controller to determine vehicle speed & distance traveled.

The distance sensor generates 8 pulses per sensor revolution. These signals in conjunction with a closed throttle signal from the throttle position sensor indicate a closed throttle deceleration to the engine controller. When the vehicle is stopped at idle a closed throttle signal is received by the controller. But, a distance sensor signal is not received.

Under deceleration conditions, the engine controller adjusts the AIS motor to maintain a desired MAP value. Under idle conditions, the engine controller adjusts the AIS motor to maintain a desired engine speed. The vehicle distance sensor input is also used to maintain speed control operation and a reference for the emission maintenance (EMR) light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost183 View Post
PM "cjinpa".. he might have a gauge set, tell him i sent ya..
I have a few gauge sets. Thanks for the reference Jim.
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.