Electrical system failing after off-roading: is the alternator the culprit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical system failing after off-roading: is the alternator the culprit?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-21-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
papotter
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Electrical system failing after off-roading: is the alternator the culprit?

Aloha JeepForumers,

I took my 92 YJ out on the trail today and bounced it around quite a bit. On my way home I glanced at the voltage gage and it was pinned to the left (e.g. around 9, and it usually hangs right in the center of the gauge). When I turned the car off in the parking lot and re-started, it had a tough time turning over but did end up starting. Then, on the highway, things started getting wacky - the turn signals and windshield wipers didn't respond, the tach and speedo both dropped to zero and after a while the engine sputtered to a stall and I was left stranded on the side of the road.

My first hunch was that this points to a problem with the alternator - since the engine started up okay, the battery must be fine. But would a damaged alternator create the problems mentioned above? Would that be enough to stall the engine while it is running?

If so, any links to how to test for damaged parts or resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Right now my Jeep is sitting in my driveway, awaiting my repair!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Phil in Honolulu

papotter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Is the battery fastened tight? Could have bounced loose and shorted out. Dont know why Jeep thought to put the + nearest the fender.
But yes the ALT is what keeps the battery charged and if the battery not shorted out, is more than likely what is wrong.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Is the battery fastened tight? Could have bounced loose and shorted out. Dont know why Jeep thought to put the + nearest the fender.
But yes the ALT is what keeps the battery charged and if the battery not shorted out, is more than likely what is wrong.
I agree.

Check the wiring harness on the Alt, check the ground on the battery, check the fender for any sign of the battery shorting out against it.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The easiest and best way is to take it to your nearest auto parts place that tests alts. It's a real easy and fast test and they'll tell you if your battery is being charged. (NOTE:: It doesn't mean that your alternator is busted, it just means your alternator isn't charging. A friend bought a new alt, I installed it and it still wasn't charging. After tracing wires, I found that the positive wire was ripped in two.) You can also completely remove the alternator, and take it in, and they'll test the unit itself.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Gilthanas
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd check the battery terminals first. Then try charging the battery and seeing if it will run. If it will run enough to get to the local part store that tests take it there. Make sure they test the battery too. If you can't get it running enough to take the whole jeep. I'd pull the alt and battery and have them both tested. I've seen alot of Battery's get trashed when the alt fails. You just want to make sure you don't get boned later on if the battery is weak.
Gilthanas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can use a set of jumper cables to bridge the alternator wiring and the battery wiring to see if you have a bad cable too. It is a quick trouble shooting method.

You can take your battery and alternator to the store to be load tested but most of the issues are going to be related to not just the battery but all the wiring connections not being maintained.

You are in Hawaii and the Jeep wiring is notorious for corrosion issues. The salt air will speed things up so it is probably time to do maintenance. Get yourself a bottle of water, wire brush, sand paper, baking soda, and some grease. Disconnect the battery. Remove all the heavier guage wires from the alternator, battery and PDC, one at a time and clean them. There are good video's on youtube on what to do if you arent sure. Go to town with the baking soda and water. After you clean each one put grease on it and reattac. Grounds are just as critical so all the grounds too.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
papotter
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks!!!

You guys are the best - right on! I took out the alternator and brought it into my local auto parts store and indeed, it was dead. $150 and an hour of labor later, and the electrical system is back up and running.

Very thankful to have a community of smart Jeep owners to help me figure out these issues as they arise - with a 20 year old Jeep, I'm sure you'll see more posts from me in the future.

Mahalo, guys.

Phil
papotter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Glad you got it going. Take the time to put grease on the connections. You will be glad you did.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
alternator , electrical issue , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.