Electrical Short???? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical Short????

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #16
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post

I have absolutely no idea how/why I typed that into my answer!!!!
hahha I had my girl friend come to read it, cuz i had no clue what you meant. (shes def a mechanically inclined girl too)
She was at a loss too !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
To both you and the OP, this sounds to be more of a power issue rather than a ground. Both headlights are individually grounded. If both are going out, then this is more apt to be a power problem. If the dash illumination is dropping at the same time, then for the '88 and '89 model years that have been mentioned, I would suspect a bad fusible link or connection there to.
If just the headlamps are dropping out on these years, then it is likely the headlamp switch, the hi/low dimmer switch or the wiring suppling power to/from all of the above.
i had issues with the fuseable linke on my 90'. def not the same issue. i would guess it could be the switch, as it controls the exterior lights and the interior dash lights. or a ground that is just getting off and on consistency.

thanks to everyones input! i know have some directions to chase.

Elsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #17
clemsonfan16
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Where is the fuseable link?
clemsonfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #18
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

On my 90' it was on the passenger side of the firewall low below and to the right of the battery tray
Unread 02-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #19
clemsonfan16
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome I will check that out. Thanks
Unread 02-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #20
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
To both you and the OP, this sounds to be more of a power issue rather than a ground. Both headlights are individually grounded. If both are going out, then this is more apt to be a power problem. If the dash illumination is dropping at the same time, then for the '88 and '89 model years that have been mentioned, I would suspect a bad fusible link or connection there to.
If just the headlamps are dropping out on these years, then it is likely the headlamp switch, the hi/low dimmer switch or the wiring suppling power to/from all of the above.
I would normally agree with you except that the issue started when she hit a large bump in the road. Both headlights are grounded to the same piece of mertal that is bolted to the frame. If it was loossened then they would lose their ground wouldn't they?

But the same incident could have caused a loss of power if a large plug like the bulkhead connector got loossened up, but that would knock out everything probably. He has some investigating to do that is for sure. I leaned towards bad grounds becasue that is common in older Jeeps anyways.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOL The switches are sooo bad on the YJ if you hit a but you change the switches attitude! Got to go with Idaholtby on this one with a caviot. Check power at the switch first. If you dont have power there then replace the fuseable link. If its there then spend the $30 and an extra $30 for the next big bump you hit and buy 2 light switches!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #22
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Elsahara;8954391]Only cut out for a couple of nervous seconds.

They came on and even after a few more back jolting bumps they stayed on.

Are you saying here that the lights are back on now?!? I'm

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #23
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As i quote myself, i stated when i said in the post i made before saying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsahara View Post
Only cut out for a couple of nervous seconds.

my head hurts

It happend once, the lights cut out for a few seconds, came on, no engine flutter, never happened again...in the last 12 hours
Unread 02-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #24
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just driving tonight, hit a rather nasty bump on a set of train tracks and for just a couple second it killed the interior dash lights and at least the head lights. DID NOT effect the engine though.

Hit a few more nasty bumps and it didnt act up but for obvious reasons I dont like it like not being able to see at night
Quote:
Only cut out for a couple of nervous seconds.

thought i explained it pretty well. my bad tho!!!
Unread 02-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #25
clemsonfan16
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just talked to a friend and he said that it could be my alternator. Sound legit?
Unread 02-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #26
GRN_BEAST95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

naa i wouldnt suspect the alternator. I say this because even if it was the alternator you would be noticing other driving related problems alot more frequently. Ask me how i know lol. Did you clean up and tighten all your grounds yet? also if you can get ahold of a volt/ohm meter check out the power supply to the headlamp switch.
Green Jeep member 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellojeeper View Post
Guam. I spent a week there one night.
GRN_BEAST95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #27
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
I just talked to a friend and he said that it could be my alternator. Sound legit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN_BEAST95 View Post
naa i wouldnt suspect the alternator. I say this because even if it was the alternator you would be noticing other driving related problems alot more frequently. Ask me how i know lol. Did you clean up and tighten all your grounds yet? also if you can get ahold of a volt/ohm meter check out the power supply to the headlamp switch.
I agree, doubtful its the alternator, it would show other signs of possible failure. nd no i wont ask you how you know
havent had a chance to tighten or clean up anything. g/f just got home, its raining out and it hasnt acted up since that night so ill wait till im less lazy
tomorrow...maybe.....

thanks for everyone help tho!
Unread 02-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #28
GRN_BEAST95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

haha no problem. well keep us posted if anything comes up.
Green Jeep member 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellojeeper View Post
Guam. I spent a week there one night.
GRN_BEAST95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.