Electrical Short???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical Short????

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Electrical Short????

Just driving tonight, hit a rather nasty bump on a set of train tracks and for just a couple second it killed the interior dash lights and at least the head lights. DID NOT effect the engine though.

voltage meter stayed steady at 14 volts after. not sure if it was higher before but thought it was around 15-16???

Popped the hood to find the PO had bunged the batt. down and the cables and connectors are none to nice looking. But havent noticed it effect anything yet.

Hit a few more nasty bumps and it didnt act up but for obvious reasons I dont like it like not being able to see at night

any thoughts?

Elsahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
GRN_BEAST95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ummm well sometimes the lights and interior lights will shut off if the light switch is failing. Did the engine studder or turn of or anything?
Green Jeep member 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellojeeper View Post
Guam. I spent a week there one night.
GRN_BEAST95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN_BEAST95 View Post
ummm well sometimes the lights and interior lights will shut off if the light switch is failing. Did the engine studder or turn of or anything?
if it did, (girlfriend was driving) she didnt notice and its at the bottom of a hill so when you get over the "dukes of hazard" rail road jump you have to accelerate.

good idea tho, if it was the switch, would it fail intermittently and then eventually crap out?
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsahara View Post
if it did, (girlfriend was driving) she didnt notice and its at the bottom of a hill so when you get over the "dukes of hazard" rail road jump you have to accelerate.

good idea tho, if it was the switch, would it fail intermittently and then eventually crap out?
Did the lights ever give your crap before? If not then the 'bump' caused the rpoblem you have, most likely.

Are they still not working?

Does the Jeep start up OK?

My first thoughts are the ground on the battery or the one on the engine block to firewall was knocked loose.

It is possible the light switch just happened to go out but did you check all of your fuses in the PDC under the hood?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Only cut out for a couple of nervous seconds.

They came on and even after a few more back jolting bumps they stayed on.

Starts up just fine, even if its cold.

Didnt check anything other then a quick visual.
figured if a fuse blew then it would have killed the lights permanently.

Will check the ground in the morning, but like i said in the first post, the terminals are def not great so i figure the engine ground is in the same condition.
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Only cut out for a couple of nervous seconds.

They came on and even after a few more back jolting bumps they stayed on.

Starts up just fine, even if its cold.

Didnt check anything other then a quick visual.
figured if a fuse blew then it would have killed the lights permanently.

Will check the ground in the morning, but like i said in the first post, the terminals are def not great so i figure the engine ground is in the same condition.
Doing preventative maintenance is wise. Because when you have no time, and no money your Jeep will konk out!

Fixing somethong that is not now broken is even harder!! OR easier.....depends on how you look at it.

and clogged plugs are ..but you can not fix what is not broken!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Doing preventative maintenance is wise. Because when you have no time, and no money your Jeep will konk out!

Fixing somethong that is not now broken is even harder!! OR easier.....depends on how you look at it.

and clogged plugs are ..but you can not fix what is not broken!
lol so your telling me my plugs are clogged
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
GRN_BEAST95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When my headlight switch went out it did it randomly. like one day it would go out and come back on repeatedly and then it would be fine for a week and then happen again. But yeah check your grounds. i wouldnt stop at just the battery grounds i would check all of them.
Green Jeep member 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellojeeper View Post
Guam. I spent a week there one night.
GRN_BEAST95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
cwjeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

mine did the same thing. had loose ground between motor and fire wall. installed a battery cable from motor to firewall. had no more problems.
cwjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN_BEAST95 View Post
When my headlight switch went out it did it randomly. like one day it would go out and come back on repeatedly and then it would be fine for a week and then happen again. But yeah check your grounds. i wouldnt stop at just the battery grounds i would check all of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjeep View Post
mine did the same thing. had loose ground between motor and fire wall. installed a battery cable from motor to firewall. had no more problems.

I will def check the grounds.

So you put a wire from your engine block ground to the firewall? was this ran to an existing ground on the firewall or did you make a new one?
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #11
clemsonfan16
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Dont mean to Highjack but my lights did the same thing. Only between idle and when I accelerate do they turn off. And the highbeam indicators turn on when the lights go out....
clemsonfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
Dont mean to Highjack but my lights did the same thing. Only between idle and when I accelerate do they turn off. And the highbeam indicators turn on when the lights go out....

HIGHJACKED!!!!!!!! come on!

just playin sounds like you need more help then i do
from what i am learning, lack of proper grounding can do some funny things. maybe you could pull out the haynes or chiltons and see where they are. thats my plan.
goodluck!!!
Unread 02-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
lol so your telling me my plugs are clogged

I have absolutely no idea how/why I typed that into my answer!!!!

Unread 02-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #14
clemsonfan16
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
HIGHJACKED!!!!!!!! come on!

just playin sounds like you need more help then i do
from what i am learning, lack of proper grounding can do some funny things. maybe you could pull out the haynes or chiltons and see where they are. thats my plan.
goodluck!!!
Haha sounds like we are in the same boat as far as grounding goes. I have absolutley no clue what is the problem though...But yeah im going to check the engine ground. If you get to it before me let me know!
clemsonfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #15
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
Haha sounds like we are in the same boat as far as grounding goes. I have absolutely no clue what is the problem though...But yeah im going to check the engine ground. If you get to it before me let me know!
To both you and the OP, this sounds to be more of a power issue rather than a ground. Both headlights are individually grounded. If both are going out, then this is more apt to be a power problem. If the dash illumination is dropping at the same time, then for the '88 and '89 model years that have been mentioned, I would suspect a bad fusible link or connection there to.
If just the headlamps are dropping out on these years, then it is likely the headlamp switch, the hi/low dimmer switch or the wiring suppling power to/from all of the above.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.