Electrical Problems With 89 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical Problems With 89 YJ

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGOffset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 05-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Brifr1231
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Electrical Problems With 89 YJ

Hey guys I am wondering if any one can help me try to figure this out. Here's my situation or at least what happens most of the time. When I turn the lights on the windshield wipers run and I have removed the dome fuse so the interior lights and radio are disconnected because the radio was turning off whenever I did anything. When I tested for a charge on the body I have 5-6 volts in the body when the lights are on and 1-2 when the lights are off. So somewhere there is a wire putting a charge to the body. I don't know if its a short or a bad ground. Any help is good help. thank you.

Unread 05-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You have a bad ground(s). Check black battery lead, and go from there.
Imagine two light bulbs in series. In your case you have several light bulbs, in series with a bad ground connection. If you measure the voltage between the 2 bulbs you will see a voltage if the bulbs are the same wattage, it will equal 1/2 the supply voltage.
Very good to get as far as you did. Even if the cables look good, take the connectors off and clean with a brush and sandpaper. Oh, the connection is bad between the two points where you measured the voltage!!!

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Brifr1231
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey thanks for the reply I actually figured it out on my own before you posted but you had the same idea. the first thing I checked was the body grounding strap and that turned out to be on a painted surface so scrapped that down to bare metal and cleaned the strap and it was all fixed. thanks for the post once again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.