Electrical Nightmare - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical Nightmare

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-20-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
Woodaddy

Electrical Nightmare

I have a 94 YJ, 2.5 4 banger, completely stock. A few months ago, it began to get harder to start. I changed the plugs, oil and fuel filter, a bottle of injector cleaner and ran it for 8 weeks, ran great, but still took a long time to fire up. So... a couple weeks ago I changed the wires, rotor, dist. cap thinking that would help. No luck, matter of fact, would not start at all! Pulled a plug wire and held it to the engine block and found I had no spark.... so I thought maybe the coil was bad.. Replaced the coil, no good. Went and got my multi-meter and started checking things. I had 12 V at the coil, so that's great.... checked wiring for continuity, that all seemed fine.... so why no spark? So I did the fault code thing... got codes 12, 33, and 55.. nothing there. I cleaned both battery terminals, and all grounds both to the chassis and engine.. still the same thing... crank and crank.... then I hear a clicking sound... traced it to the Auto shut off relay and found that after the clicking sound stopped, the engine fires up in an instant and never misses a beat... runs great! Problem is, when I shut it off and let it sit for an hour or so, it does it all over again. Changed the relay, same thing... Looked at the wiring diagrams and thought maybe it was the camshaft position sensor in the distributior assembly, changed that out... No good... AHHH!!!! Since this is my daughter's main ride, I don't want to let her drive it like this, cause you never know when it's Kaput! Anyone out there ever have this issue before? Probably something simple I've missed, and I have very little hair left to pull!!!
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Woodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
dcafaro

When the engine turns does it sound weak or is it turning over normally? I ask because often the clicking is the starter solenoid (not always but often). If it sounds a bit weak I would say your starter is failing. ALso make sure your battery cables are not messed up within the sheath *this happens more than you think.) These are only suggestions as electircal can drive you insane trying to figure it out.
stinger type front bumper custom rear.
TJ soundbar with custom speaker set up
engine 94 4.0. ~ 70, 000( head and block 98 grand)
axles 4:11 trans Automatic TF999
dcafaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodaddy
I have a 94 YJ, 2.5 4 banger, completely stock. A few months ago, it began to get harder to start. I changed the plugs, oil and fuel filter, a bottle of injector cleaner and ran it for 8 weeks, ran great, but still took a long time to fire up. So... a couple weeks ago I changed the wires, rotor, dist. cap thinking that would help. No luck, matter of fact, would not start at all! Pulled a plug wire and held it to the engine block and found I had no spark.... so I thought maybe the coil was bad.. Replaced the coil, no good. Went and got my multi-meter and started checking things. I had 12 V at the coil, so that's great.... checked wiring for continuity, that all seemed fine.... so why no spark? So I did the fault code thing... got codes 12, 33, and 55.. nothing there. I cleaned both battery terminals, and all grounds both to the chassis and engine.. still the same thing... crank and crank.... then I hear a clicking sound... traced it to the Auto shut off relay and found that after the clicking sound stopped, the engine fires up in an instant and never misses a beat... runs great! Problem is, when I shut it off and let it sit for an hour or so, it does it all over again. Changed the relay, same thing... Looked at the wiring diagrams and thought maybe it was the camshaft position sensor in the distributior assembly, changed that out... No good... AHHH!!!! Since this is my daughter's main ride, I don't want to let her drive it like this, cause you never know when it's Kaput! Anyone out there ever have this issue before? Probably something simple I've missed, and I have very little hair left to pull!!!
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

a clicking relay coupled with a long crank before it and an immediate start afterward is usually the symptom of a failing ECU. does the CEL come on when you first turn the key or when the relay stops clicking?

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
Woodaddy

Electrical Nightmare

Engine cranks just fine... nothing wrong with the starter.

The CEL comes on right after the relay stops clicking. I was thinking my next option was to replace the computer / ECU (located on the firewall by the washer fluid tank) but wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas before I went and spent another $200.... because if I purchase that part and install it, there's no returning it if this doesn't solve the problem. What about removing the ECU and cleaning the contacts? I might give that a shot before I go drop the $200 on one.
Woodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodaddy
Engine cranks just fine... nothing wrong with the starter.

The CEL comes on right after the relay stops clicking. I was thinking my next option was to replace the computer / ECU (located on the firewall by the washer fluid tank) but wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas before I went and spent another $200.... because if I purchase that part and install it, there's no returning it if this doesn't solve the problem. What about removing the ECU and cleaning the contacts? I might give that a shot before I go drop the $200 on one.
you can try it as it won't hurt. also, check the connection between the LPS fuse under the dash and pin 9 in the ECU harness. if that connection is bad then you get what looks liek a faulty computer but is really just a loose connection.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.