Electrical mystery 94 Cherokee - Please HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical mystery 94 Cherokee - Please HELP

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
bbauer927

Electrical mystery 94 Cherokee - Please HELP

I have a 94 Jeep Cherokee. Car won't start due to no power to the car. Battery was replaced 6-7 months ago. Car acts totally dead and opened up hood to take a look. First thing I did was touch the battery cables to see if they are loose or damaged. The terminal was tight on the battery and the cables seem tight in the terminal, but when I touched the cable it instantly clicked and power juiced through the car and Immediately lights came on and inside door buzzer came on. It sustains power for approx 15 seconds and then dies back off. The buzzer fades off over a span of a few seconds its not an immediate cut off, seems like power drains out instead of cuts off. I then touched the positive cable and it clicked and repeated the same process. I tried messing with the cables again and it did not repeat anymore. Next I went to the fuse box in the engine compartment. I pulled the starter fuse and it looked good. As soon as i put the starter fuse back in the battery did its click and the car had power for approx 20 seconds and then out again. If i repeated that step it would do the same thing, but not with any of the other fuses. I cannot get the car to keep power for more than 20 seconds. And I tried putting the fuse in and as soon as i hear the click i run to the ignition and try to start it and I get nothing.

So does anybody have any clue what may be causing this issue? or at least have some good brainstorming tips of things to try to check out or look into? thank you for all help.

bbauer927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Since you seem to have power when you touch the cables....That would seem a great place to start. Change them. Change the ends. The cables will corrode inside the insulation where you cant see. IF this is the case, which I would not doubt, what your experiencing would be norm for that condition......The lines wont be able to carry a heavy load for more then a few seconds..
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

clean/change terminals and battery posts first and go from there

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum!

I am going to Winter Haven tomorrow and I hope the storm has passed.

The 4.0 in the YJ is the same as the Cherokee but their might be quarks that they know about that we don't.

It does sound like a connection issue, I would start pulling and cleaning them. Start with the battery cables and work your way forward.

It all starts at the battery.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbauer927 View Post
I have a 94 Jeep Cherokee. Car won't start due to no power to the car. Battery was replaced 6-7 months ago. Car acts totally dead and opened up hood to take a look. First thing I did was touch the battery cables to see if they are loose or damaged. The terminal was tight on the battery and the cables seem tight in the terminal, but when I touched the cable it instantly clicked and power juiced through the car and Immediately lights came on and inside door buzzer came on. It sustains power for approx 15 seconds and then dies back off. The buzzer fades off over a span of a few seconds its not an immediate cut off, seems like power drains out instead of cuts off. I then touched the positive cable and it clicked and repeated the same process. I tried messing with the cables again and it did not repeat anymore. Next I went to the fuse box in the engine compartment. I pulled the starter fuse and it looked good. As soon as i put the starter fuse back in the battery did its click and the car had power for approx 20 seconds and then out again. If i repeated that step it would do the same thing, but not with any of the other fuses. I cannot get the car to keep power for more than 20 seconds. And I tried putting the fuse in and as soon as i hear the click i run to the ignition and try to start it and I get nothing.

So does anybody have any clue what may be causing this issue? or at least have some good brainstorming tips of things to try to check out or look into? thank you for all help.
Remove each battery cable at the battery. Twist each cable at least one full turn in each direction if possible. Stick them back on the battery and see what it does. If it starts OK the battery cables are full of corrosion under the insulation. Replace them. Bad cables can kill alternators.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery , electrical , help needed , jeep , wont start

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.