JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Electrical Issues (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/electrical-issues-1540497/)

jdbillin 06-23-2013 08:17 PM

Electrical Issues

Hi guys I have a '89 wrangler it was my grandpas and when we got it a few years ago it ran fine and I know he only drove it a few times its just been sitting for the past few years.

So I have attempted to get it running and of course haven't had any luck the first problem I had was the fuel pump wasn't kicking on and after I messed around with it for a little bit I figured out the relay by the battery was really corroded so I put spade connectors on it and now if I ground out the trigger wire on it the pump will run so that kind of solved that problem.

But now the throttle body won't inject any fuel. I think its a issue with the ECU I imagine that it changes the voltage to vary the amount of fuel and probably has something to do with the fuel pump still not kicking on.

I'm just not sure what else to check or what could be causing this I checked all the basics I know that one of the fuses was blown I can't remember what it was labeled as something ignition but it still has spark and would run of ether. I replaced the fuse and it hasn't blown again.

I just need some ideas or some more things to check any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Jordan

jdbillin 06-27-2013 02:10 PM

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Jordan

mike_breaker_5 06-27-2013 03:21 PM

89's were carbbed, if you actually do have an 89 with tb injection then you have a jeep that has been modified.

check into this. my first assumption is CPS if the fuel pump wouldn't cycle when the key is turned on.

we will need to know a little more for certain exactly what is under the hood.

mike_breaker_5 06-27-2013 03:23 PM

unless it's a 4cyl. i forgot about those having tb injection.

jokerchief462 06-27-2013 06:33 PM

I answered on WF

jdbillin 06-29-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 (Post 15614919)
unless it's a 4cyl. i forgot about those having tb injection.

Yes its a 4cyl

pete1991YJ 06-29-2013 11:27 AM

If the relay was that corroded, then chances are the grounds are really shot. I would take the time to disconnect and clean every connection I could find, and use dielectric grease when they go back together. The injector in particular has its own ground but I forget the details -- theres a few other guys around here with the 89 4-banger, one of them should be along eventually.

It maybe one of those deals where more than one thing feeds off that relay, so it needs that in order to fire.

EDIT to add make DARN sure the computer is grounded, its housing is grounded, and the ICM (ignition control module, if any) is grounded and has clean tight connections. There should be a body ground strap in the firewall and an engine ground strap near the back of the head -- what kind of shape are they in?

mike_breaker_5 06-29-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdbillin (Post 15621403)
Yes its a 4cyl

you really should fill out your profile so we can better know what vehicle we are talking about for future reference.

The time now is 10:24 PM.