Electrical issue please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical issue please help

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
smartin5

Electrical issue please help

So here is what is going on; it started with the occasional light indicator on the speedometer cluster going on as to indicate a blown bulb outside, the marker light outside is barely lit. Just went away....for a week, next I get in to start in the morning and the display is lit up, both turn signal indicators, high beam indicator and seatbelt indicator. Just trying to troubleshoot and hit the flashers. The spedo. light is blinking on and off with the flashers.......This morning I get in and no power to the fuel pump. I then started the self diagnostic and that all of the sudden it let me get power back to the fuel pump and start the jeep. I've cleaned everything, computer, fuses, connections, tried grounding to the dash looking for a bad ground there....nothing.. Anybody have a clue? I also replaced the light relay switch but not the rheostat light dimmer. It seems like a short somewhere, maybe a ground? also maybe computer? Please help...its my daily driver

smartin5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have a few possibilities. The year and engine and trans make a huge difference. Please fill out your profile info for the Jeep.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
smartin5

Its a 1995, I6 mated to the AX-15 manual transmission.
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd start off by running some new grounds. It may not be the main problem, but at least you'll get it to fail with more authority.

Get a bunch of 10 gauge wire and run one from the battery negative to the firewall, another to the grill, and replace the one to the engine itself. See http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/be...hammer-833631/ for more than you could possibly want to read about why redoing all the grounds might be a good idea.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have and know how to use a multimeter?
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
smartin5

I do have and know how to use the multimeter, I was planning on going through the jeep this weekend to try and find where the problem may be coming from.
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
smartin5

dancytron, great suggestion I think its worth a try for sure.....
Unread 10-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
smartin5

So after a lot of trouble shooting, I was able to get the old girl fixed here's what it was.... several things were going on at once which made it hard to diagnose. the first, the lighting issue was due to a corroded circuit board ribbon on the back of the speedometer cluster, also one of the marker light sockets was bad. The fuel pump issue was simply a very dirty fuse, the accessory fuse to be exact. She is up and running strong. Thanks for all the input everybody
Unread 10-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A dirty accessories fuse, that had to be fun tracking down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.