Electrical Help: Brake light only works if i turn hazards on and off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical Help: Brake light only works if i turn hazards on and off

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
Jeepineveryday
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Electrical Help: Brake light only works if i turn hazards on and off

i'm stumped...

both of my brake lights DO work but the left one seems to stop working for some reason. the only way to get it to work is to simply pull the hazard light button/switch to the on position then turn it back off. it works for a very short time. maybe a few miles? a few minutes? a few brakes at stop lights? whatever the case, it's not long at all.

thoughts or ideas?

thanks in advance

Jeepineveryday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a ground or a short.
Do you have trailer wiring? I do but the po had done a very shoty job of just cutting insulation and wraping the trailer wires around and re tapeing. That has sinc been fixed lol.
rodgers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

X2 with Rodgers. Check the tail light housing. They pull ground through the studs used to mount the housing. Make sure they are clean and making good contact.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
piotrsko
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bit of contact cleaner into the switch might help also.
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

OP, have someone watch the tail lights while you have your foot on the brake. Jiggle the turn signal stalk and mess with the four way switch. I am thinking turn signal switch...

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Homie View Post
OP, have someone watch the tail lights while you have your foot on the brake. Jiggle the turn signal stalk and mess with the four way switch. I am thinking turn signal switch...
Yep, its the turn signal switch. I had the same issue in my YJ a few years ago. Replaced the turn signal switch and it fixed. The contacts are worn and, well, not making good contact anymore.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #7
Jeepineveryday
1994 YJ Wrangler 

good info. will mess with it now and see if i can figure anything out. will post results. thanks ya'll.
Jeepineveryday is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.