Electrical, battery and/or alternator headaches… - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical, battery and/or alternator headaches…

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-20-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
AR-Guy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Electrical, battery and/or alternator headaches…

Ok being the newbie I am in the electrical area I need help!!! (Yep did a search but I think I am more confused after reading all of those posts!)

Data: ‘87 YJ, 4.2l, nutter, HEI, and an Empi 32/38 carb (New red top battery and power master alternator 90/140).

Ok old alternator went bad so I replaced it with the power master alternator 90/140 and a new red top battery; it had tested bad/weak also.

My dash battery gauge had been way down in the red (8), after replacing everything and starting it back up the dash gauge is reading at just around the 14mark. It sat a couple of days sitting (had to work) go back to start he back up and she does no problem. BUT the dash gauge reads just above the red (8) mark. That is until I add just a bit of gas then it goes back up to where it was at just around the 14 mark on the gauge. (From around 650 rpm idle to 850 rpms)

Ok so is that normal?

If not why not.

Just kick up the idle: really that easy.

I am worried that I have an electrical short (that does not sound fun.)

Suggestions, comments.

Thanks for help in advance!
Buck

AR-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
NJeepyj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

After about 16 years I am very biased against anything factory gauges tell me.

Old school. When an anemeter failed to register it was the internal voltage regulator which was going. If ignored, output would destory the alternator/generator.

New school: The gauges in the yj are not built to last and should not be trusted.

I went 15 years with no reliable gui. Gas gauge from hell. Annemeter lied all of the time. Oil pressure maxxed at 100 lbs of pressure at idle; no coolant temp since 1992.

Old school: It is the sending unit

New school: The gauge cluster sucks from poor design.

Take one of your circuit boards fom your PC. Leave it out for the summer on your dashboard. Plug it back it in and expect it to work.

That ribbon circuit board is the worst thing ever. Please don't be irritated with me. How many jeep engines could have been saved if there was some sort of early warning? The temp gauge comes to mind.
NJeepyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
AR-Guy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJeepyj91
After about 16 years ...
That ribbon circuit board is the worst thing ever. Please don't be irritated with me. How many jeep engines could have been saved if there was some sort of early warning? The temp gauge comes to mind.

I'm not irritated I even more confused?

OK: Change out gauges I think thats smart and sounds good.

So no worries???
Unread 10-20-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
frankmurphy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You might just need to tighten the belt, my gauge was saying i was getting about 8 volts and when id give it gas it would go up to about 12-13 and it was squeking bad during start up, i tightened the belts, no more squeek and now the gauge stays around 13-14.
frankmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
AR-Guy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did test that but it seems tight. The PO hand made a new alternator bracket and it is not in line with the other belts so getting an new bracket is a top project.

You can check it it out in my galary:

http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/bro...4&userid=88001

Thanks again....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.