Electric speed sensor to speedometer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric speed sensor to speedometer

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Daretobesquare
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Electric speed sensor to speedometer

I am having a hard time getting my speedometer working.

Here's what I got.
I have the electic speed sensor with 3 wires. Black, orange & white

The supply 5v is dark blue, with a brown return wire to the PCM/speedometer.
I can not get the speedometer/odometer to work. The tach works fine.
Tried cleaning the ribbon behind speedometer, even jumped 12v and ground To try and get it to work.

I was having power supply issues, while grounding the speed sensor(black wire) I realized the sensor is already grounded via the transfer case.

Should I still run a direct ground to frame ?
I found the orange/white wire gojng to tach/speedometer cluster, seem to be getting signal there. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Daretobesquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did your speedo quit on it's own or did this come about after other maintenance work, such as on the t-case? Have you tried removing the VSS and driving it with a drill? The VSS is rotationally clocked when it is installed on the T-case. It must be rotated to match the tooth count of your drive gear(markings are on the t-case for this purpose). If not, the gears will not properly align and thus no signal for the speedometer.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
Daretobesquare
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Been searching all over & trying to make sense of it did the sye a while ago with the drive train swap, been ignoring it until now. Once I started screwing with it, it's got me rattled. The 95 already. Had the mechanical speed sensor with the electric output to the speedometer, that worked fine. (2 wire system)
So I got the new speed sensor with the sye kit and here I am. Doesn't seem to be ajustable, only the 10mm bolt to the mega short sye housing. Tonight I realizes the ribbon has some stress marks in it. Could also be contributing to problem... I ran independent 12v ignition power, ground, and input wires to speedometer. Hooked it back up to speed sensor ....nothing
Than unhooked and tried to figure out if the speedometer is even working.....couldn't and haven't seen the needle move since I still had the 2.5l in it.
Daretobesquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Take the adapter out.. Turn the key to on (dont have to have the engine started) put the adapter in a drill and spin it. Watch the speedometer. If it works then you need to clock the gear correctly.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

OP, do you know what he means by 'clock the gear'? It's probably the most important part of working on a YJ speedo.
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
glturner39
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know what he meant by clocked. My 93 started acting up today. Sometimes stuck on 0 sometimes 25.
glturner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glturner39 View Post
I don't know what he meant by clocked. My 93 started acting up today. Sometimes stuck on 0 sometimes 25.
Clocked means there are three rotational positions for the main plastic housing being in the aluminum case. That main housing is actually an eccentric, the gear spindle is not in the center of the housing. The little Y shaped single screw clamp has small tails at the top of the Y that go into small slots in the plastic housing. The side of the housing is marked with each of three tooth count ranges. You have to pick the right range (clocking) to get the worm gear to engage properly.
Unread 07-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you Don for explaining what I should have explained to begin with.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.