Electric problem... Starter/Solenoid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric problem... Starter/Solenoid?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
bashbro
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Electric problem... Starter/Solenoid?

Just getting everything back together after a frame off resto. A bit baffled at the moment as I have everything connected back up but not getting any power. First off, I have brand new battery. I have the (2) + leads of the battery connected to the starter relay and to the starter solenoid. - lead on battery connected to engine ground. Relay is connected with the (3) leads from the wiring harness. And solenoid lead from harness is connected to the post on the solenoid. (this post feels loose and not totally secure to the solenoid, problem?) I have tested and know i get 12V to the relay and to the solenoid from the + leads. But I am not getting any voltage from the solenoid into the harness through the single barrel connector. I assume I should have something as I am assuming this provides power to the rest of the harness or is that wrong? If i am wrong, where does power to the harness come from?

I have no lights on the dash. No ignition buzzer. Investigated further and no power to any of the fuses. Investigated further and no power to any of the terminals inside the wiring harness big connector from the engine bay.

Any thoughts? Have checked the FSM but lost as to how to diagnose this.

Thanks

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-2004265/
bashbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
bashbro
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I guess a different way to ask this question is, where does the "always hot" power come from into the wiring harness and eventually bulkhead connector?

Unread 12-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

On a stock 1989 YJ, the small battery cable runs to a post on the starter relay. On that post, are some 10 gauge wires with fusible links. That is the power distribution for the whole jeep, except for the main power to the starter.

I don't know if that answers your question or not.

This picture, from this thread may help. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/starter-relay-wiring-2262921/
I am talking about the post on the upper right.

dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
bashbro
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dancytron your a life saver. I guess I did not truly understand how the fusible links worked. Got them connected to the post with the battery terminal and instantly got the power back. In the end, all worked out and i got the Jeep running after about an hour of tinkering and 2+ years in the garage on the frame off resto. Also had fuel supply/return lines reversed and had to drain the old gas still and refill with some fresh go juice. Thanks again. This forum is awesome.

Unread 12-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You're Welcome.

People used to semi-modern cars expect to see a big fuse box under the hood doing the power distribution.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.