Electric fan temp sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric fan temp sensor

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Electric fan temp sensor

I'm tired of reading through multiple posts about this. I am planning on installing an electric fan on my 95 2.5L. I'm not worried about the benefits vs. lack thereof. I know what controllers and fans are available through my local suppliers. My question is what is the best choice of temperature sensor to use to run a dual speed fan? I don't want to change or fab multiple parts, just install it and make it work.
I have no reason or ulterior motive for doing this other than I like to play around with things. Not looking at HP or mileage improvements. I just like to make different things work on it.
Thanks. Sorry if I sound cranky. Digging through the other posts has made me cross-eyed.

lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have used the radiator probe style and it has been flawless for 5+ years. I oversized the gap a little and packed it with jb weld; the sensor is held in place well and it gets a good thermal connection.

The controller unit operates the low speed and I have a switch with on-off-on to set the system to auto, off or high speed.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Like j bolty I run temp sensor on low only with a switch for low, off,high. High just runs all out. No temp control. I run a derale controller. The temp sensor is an in block style with a thread in probe. I just added s "t" into the front temp sensor and put it on. I would say what ever controller you get weather 1 or 2 speed it will have sensor/sensors with it.
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
bowtech
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Look at this site for some options.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/accessori...ntrollers.html
bowtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was actually looking at the Volvo controller, so I would need to buy a sensor. I hadn't thought about using a T on the front housing. I like the idea of a threaded sensor, but was leaning towards what jbolty uses for ease of installation. I just wasn't too keen on letting it just stick through the radiator. I also had questions in my mind about using jb weld. If it needs replaced, there's another "hole" through the fins. Same with radiator. Replace it and you have to replace both. Good ideas on both methods though.

Do the sensors come in specific temperature ranges or does the controller need to handle the range?
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I read up on every way there is to install a temp sensor and eventually gave up. There isn't an extra plug in the water jacket. Putting a tee in one of the hoses can result in an air bubble and a false reading. Brazing a fitting into the radiator is just too darn much work. Tucking the sensor inside the upper radiator hose seems like an invitation to a leak.

There is also the DCC controller.

http://www.dccontrol.com/relay_controllers.htm

http://www.dccontrol.com/faq.htm
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I use the same probe as jbolty. But I used hi-temp z-ties (black) to hold it in place. It's a little easier to remove. It's also been on there for 5+ years.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
I use the same probe as jbolty. But I used hi-temp z-ties (black) to hold it in place. It's a little easier to remove. It's also been on there for 5+ years.
What probe are you both using? I hate buying parts I have to return because I bought the wrong thing the first time.

Also, are you installing outside of any influence of the fan? I would think that otherwise the fan would cool the sensor off too quickly.
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtech View Post
Look at this site for some options.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/accessori...ntrollers.html

After a recent outing where 70% of us started overheating on the trail, I've been seriously considering an e-fan as well. I really like the flex-a-lite kit and temp probe option. I'm a big fan of designed solutions and this looks to be a good one.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm using the dcc controller and its awesome.

I helped a yj guy on the rubicon trail last week fix his blown up flexalite fan.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lah2420 View Post
What probe are you both using? I hate buying parts I have to return because I bought the wrong thing the first time.
Like I said in the PM, just a cheap Autozone probe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lah2420 View Post
Also, are you installing outside of any influence of the fan? I would think that otherwise the fan would cool the sensor off too quickly.
I noticed the same thing on mine. So I attached an old 35MM plastic film canister to the fan shroud, where the probe was sticking out. It seamed to help. I haven't taken the fan off in six years, so I don't know how the canister is holding up. But it's black plastic, so it should be heat resistant.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Search for taurus wiring solution cheap. You need a t section from a saab, put that in the upper rad hose, the use a temp coolant sensor. The thread has the right part # you can buy from napa or use one from a porsche. I read the radiator temp probes can fall out so arent as reliable.
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Me three on the probe. Been about 7 yrs no problem. I guess if you want a dual speed you could get two probes of different temps.
I haven't noticed any problem with a fan effecting the probe temp, It's buried in the radiator fins and there is much more heat around the probe than air.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Found 3 Taurus fans at a local U-Pull-It for $18 each(only bought best one). Looked at the only Volvo they had and it had been robbed. Went to the only other U-Pull-It and found out they had been taken over by the most outrageously priced salvage yard in the 4 states area. I found one Volvo with the relay module and pulled it. When I took it to the exit to check out, they didn't even know what it was. I told them and they looked at me with deer in the headlights looks. Then said the price would be $22.05. I'll find another option. New relays won't run much more than they wanted for 10+ year old parts. You have to love places that are so in love with their own parts.
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

I have a spare t from a Saab if you need it pm me. Maybe about $12 shipped and it's yours. $22 for a relay is crazy for u pull it prices.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.