Electric fan on/off temp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric fan on/off temp

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 07-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
jvg

Electric fan on/off temp

So i got a junkyard Taurus fan to convert to electric fan. I just put a new radiator water pump and thermostat in. The clutch fan i didn't replace and i don't think its working properly. Looks off centered and "wobbly". I'm looking for a controller to control the on/off of the electric fan. I don't want to just run it on a manual switch.

Question is what temp should i turn the fan on and then off at? I have a 195 thermostat. And i have the 4.0.

jvg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I run the Hayden probe kit that I got from O'Reilly's for $20. I have it set to cut on around 210 degrees F. You want the 4.0L to run a little warmer since it's fuel injected.

http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automot.../dp/B000C39C6I

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...cheap-1325896/

It's a huge thread now, but contained inside are more ways to do it than you'll ever want to know about. I use a Porsche temp switch located in the top radiator hose with a housing made from a piece of exhaust tubing and a spindle nut for a mazda 5. The switch goes to a volvo 2 spped fan controller relay. I know that what I just said doesn't make any sense, but it will after you start reading.

Put simply, I'm getting true 2 speed fan functionality that comes on (and goes off) when it's supposed to primarily from junkyard parts.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine goes on at 205 or 210 and off at 195. At 220 the high speed circuit kicks in.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
jvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I run the Hayden probe kit that I got from O'Reilly's for $20. I have it set to cut on around 210 degrees F. You want the 4.0L to run a little warmer since it's fuel injected.

http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automot.../dp/B000C39C6I
I don't think that will work with a Taurus fan. That says it has a 30 amp relay and my understanding is that on start up the Taurus fan pulls around 50-60 amps.
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
jvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
Mine goes on at 205 or 210 and off at 195. At 220 the high speed circuit kicks in.
What kind of controller do you have?
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvg View Post

I don't think that will work with a Taurus fan. That says it has a 30 amp relay and my understanding is that on start up the Taurus fan pulls around 50-60 amps.
Louie's set up will work fine with the low speed side of the Taurus fan (as I understand it, that set-up only operates on/off, not on-low/on-high/off). My two speed set-up is running on a 40 amp fuse and relay for the ignition tripped power to the Volvo fan relays. Since it always has the low speed fan on before tripping the high speed fan, you don't have the big inrush.

The low speed fan has a much lower inrush.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
jvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Louie's set up will work fine with the low speed side of the Taurus fan (as I understand it, that set-up only operates on/off, not on-low/on-high/off). My two speed set-up is running on a 40 amp fuse and relay for the ignition tripped power to the Volvo fan relays. Since it always has the low speed fan on before tripping the high speed fan, you don't have the big inrush.

The low speed fan has a much lower inrush.
Ok. Maybe a dumb question but do i need to use both low and high speeds? or will the low speed cool enough?
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvg View Post

Ok. Maybe a dumb question but do i need to use both low and high speeds? or will the low speed cool enough?
I've only had mine in since spring and my cooling system works very well, but I've never had my high speed fan kick on. I tested all the components individually, so I know it works, but it's never needed more than the low speed fan for my 4 banger.
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am using a DCC. ( http://www.dccontrol.com/relay_controllers.htm ) The 2SP2 controller is what I have.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
jvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
I am using a DCC. ( http://www.dccontrol.com/relay_controllers.htm ) The 2SP2 controller is what I have.
Yeah i was checking that one out yesterday. Installation pretty straight forward? I've read that the guy that makes then is horrible at responding and it takes forever to get it after ordering it.

I was reading on the instructions for the controller that its adjustable by turning the screws. But it doesn't say which screw if for which fan speed. I'm assuming S1 is for low speed and S2 is for high speed? Is that correct?

http://www.dccontrol.com/2sp2.pdf
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
jvg

And whats the purpose of the L102 indicator on his site? I read the description but i don't understand what it does. Sounds like it switches from low to high speed, but i thought that the 2sp controller already did that?
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
jvg

Ok now even more confusion. I just hooked up the 94 Taurus fan I pulled my self out of the car at pull a part. It's a pusher fan. Now this makes no since to me because I see everyone installing them engine side. Which means the fan would be pushing against the incoming air when driving? Did I grab a wrong fan? it's a stock fan from a 94 Taurus. I thought 90-95 werethe ones to get. it does have the two speeds. that worked well. it was just pushing not pulling.
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

which side of the radiator did you get the fan from? How did you hook up your wires? Some motors will run backwards when you reverse the poles, but since you have three wires on the fan and only one of them is black (the ground) it seems pretty simple.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
jvg

that's the confusing part. the fan was motor side like it was a pull not a push fan. with three wires, one ground, one low speed and one high how could you reverse the polarity? it's not possible right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.