Electric Fan and Non-electric fan Installation - - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric Fan and Non-electric fan Installation -

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-14-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
Urb4nTr0ll
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Electric Fan and Non-electric fan Installation -

I'm thinking of installing an electric fan while keeping the non-electric fan. Is this a good idea to bring down the temperature? I do a lot of street driving at low speeds and the heat build-up is killing me and my Jeep.

What are the pros and cons about performing this?
Thanks a lot.

Urb4nTr0ll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Typically the benefit of the electric fan mod is to increase cooling capacity while rock crawling and or to increase horse power by removing the mechanical fan. For your situation, neither seems to apply. Your rig should be able to maintain temp at low speed while street driving. I would suggest to address this problem first, then consider the electric fan mod for the above reasons.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It would not be practical to be honest - more money than what it is worth. But would be great to have a setup like that in case one went bad while you were out on the road.
For one, the electric fan would prevent the mechanical fan from doing its job properly by blocking airflow and clogging up the realestate inside the shroud.
Of course, if you could install an electrical fan on the front of the radiator as a push fan that would work out rather well and has been used in many setups throughout the years.
But I believe that a higher flow waterpump would give you more bang for your buck. See if you can find a FlowKooler water pump to fit your engine.
When I installed a high flow water pump on my Olds 442 it dropped my running temp down by about 20DEGF in city driving - keep in mind that I ran sans thermostat.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
Urb4nTr0ll
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ View Post
It would not be practical to be honest - more money than what it is worth. But would be great to have a setup like that in case one went bad while you were out on the road.
For one, the electric fan would prevent the mechanical fan from doing its job properly by blocking airflow and clogging up the realestate inside the shroud.
Of course, if you could install an electrical fan on the front of the radiator as a push fan that would work out rather well and has been used in many setups throughout the years.
But I believe that a higher flow waterpump would give you more bang for your buck. See if you can find a FlowKooler water pump to fit your engine.
When I installed a high flow water pump on my Olds 442 it dropped my running temp down by about 20DEGF in city driving - keep in mind that I ran sans thermostat.
Awesome advice, thanks a lot. I'll buy the Flow Cooler water pump instead of spending the 80 bucks on the additional fan.
Unread 08-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The flow cooler water pump will set you back 95 bucks. The point is that your stock components should be able to do the job. If you are running hot, then something is wrong, clogged rad, bad pump, poor timing, too much antifreeze used in the mix, bad sensor, ect. The high dollar water pump is good for rock crawling or extreme situations, but you describe issues while street driving. Stock components should be able to handle this chore. If your driving habits exceed the design limitations of the stock parts, then by all means, upgrade.
Unread 08-15-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
Urb4nTr0ll
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
The flow cooler water pump will set you back 95 bucks. The point is that your stock components should be able to do the job. If you are running hot, then something is wrong, clogged rad, bad pump, poor timing, too much antifreeze used in the mix, bad sensor, ect. The high dollar water pump is good for rock crawling or extreme situations, but you describe issues while street driving. Stock components should be able to handle this chore. If your driving habits exceed the design limitations of the stock parts, then by all means, upgrade.
I'm driving my YJ '90 for 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. Off and on of course, but it still is 8 hrs a day. All my driving is street driving. I think a better water pump should suit me well.
Unread 08-15-2008, 12:13 AM   #7
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just for clarity, are you actually overheating or is it just that you don't like running your engine as hot as it gets?
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urb4nTr0ll View Post
I'm driving my YJ '90 for 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. Off and on of course, but it still is 8 hrs a day. All my driving is street driving. I think a better water pump should suit me well.
Understood. I have driven mine while pulling a heavily loaded trailer on 4hr one-way trips on windy steep mountain dirt roads at low speed in 100 degree plus heat with all stock parts (including a single core rad at the time) and have never had an heat issue. What I am trying to state is that you have a problem that needs addressed, not superficially masked over with an aftermarket part. The aftermarket parts are great when your driving situations exceed the design of the stock parts. But no amount of street driving should exceed OEM part capabilities. I just hate to see people throw money at something when it isn't necessary, and or mask an underlying problem.
Unread 08-15-2008, 12:39 AM   #9
Urb4nTr0ll
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I gotcha, thanks a lot. I will look into other issues.
Unread 08-15-2008, 02:09 AM   #10
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ View Post
Just for clarity, are you actually overheating or is it just that you don't like running your engine as hot as it gets?
Like Brandon said, a little clarification may be in order. You stated that your over heating is "killing you and your jeep", I took that to mean that you are running really hot, but maybe in reality, you are running 210~220 under these conditions. If so then this is normal and not a concern. If hotter, as I took it to mean, then you have an issue. I guess precise temp readings that you are experiencing would be helpful.
Unread 08-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
SOLOLUCKY
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Can always buy a lower temp thermostat (if in fact everyhting else is ok)
I put a 160 in my 2.5 just bacause I am anti heat. even though everybody says its meant to run at 210...thats just to hot for me.
Mine held 210, ran at 210 all day long but again just too hot for me.
Everything lasts longer when they are cooler.

Thats just my opinion, yours may vary.
SOLOLUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
Urb4nTr0ll
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
Like Brandon said, a little clarification may be in order. You stated that your over heating is "killing you and your jeep", I took that to mean that you are running really hot, but maybe in reality, you are running 210~220 under these conditions. If so then this is normal and not a concern. If hotter, as I took it to mean, then you have an issue. I guess precise temp readings that you are experiencing would be helpful.
I'll try and get more information on this, thanks a bunch to all.
Unread 08-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY View Post
Can always buy a lower temp thermostat (if in fact everyhting else is ok)
I put a 160 in my 2.5 just bacause I am anti heat. even though everybody says its meant to run at 210...thats just to hot for me.
Mine held 210, ran at 210 all day long but again just too hot for me.
Everything lasts longer when they are cooler.

Thats just my opinion, yours may vary.

Your engine is designed to run at 210 with a 195deg t-stat. Running cooler than that can actually cause more harm than good. Clearances in your motor are set for the designed temp. For example, your water inlet on your block flows right on the #1 cylinder wall. Even running at 210deg, the #1 cylinder bore will be the first to were out of spec for taper due to the cooler temp due to the design of the water flow. On F.I. motors, running that cool (160) will cause the ecm to keep the motor running rich because it will get stuck in a warm up loop. You motor will run more efficiently at 210 as well.
Unread 04-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
Urb4nTr0ll
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I decided to upgrade to the electric fan to help with the cooling and also installing a flow kooler water pump. Summer is coming up in Los Angeles and the Hollywood Hills are going to kill my Jeep during the heat since I am running a 4 banger. I go uphill at 25 mph or so...not faster and not slower...lol and some hills in Hollywood are steep.

I was over-heating due to a faulty EGR valve which was causing my system to run hot. The EGR problem has been taken care of, but now, I need to save my engine from the heat going up the Hollywood Hills...lol....

Thanks to all for the great advice. I just made the purchase of the electric fan a few seconds ago.
Unread 04-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Go to a local PnP and get yourself a 2 speed ford taurus fan. I picked up one for like 35 bucks. Then go to advance or autozone and get a relay and a 3 pole switch (on off on). You have to modify the shroud a bit... but that thing will cool your motor easily on the low setting and will drop the engine temp dramatically when set to "kill".

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.