Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII)

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #91
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B
You may be right, but the XJ water pumps I've seen, I have an '89 by the way, don't have the clutch fan attached to them. That's what makes them skinnier. This one looks like it did.
The '89 and '92 we had used the fan clutch on the AC bracket where the flange was mounted. I think I could trim that main shaft down on my YJ pump since it's the only interference I have. I would try to leave some sticking out to center the pulley.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #92
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
You may be right, but the XJ water pumps I've seen, I have an '89 by the way, don't have the clutch fan attached to them. That's what makes them skinnier. This one looks like it did.
Mr. B,

I think if you get an XJ water pump that has the "R" stamped in the back for reverse rotation you're good. I know later model YJ's have the "R" stamped in the back of them.

On a different note, I found the Hayden 3653 electric fan controller is available at O'Reilly's for $17.99 based on their website. I'm going to check it out after work. If that's the case then all I'll need is some wire and a switch and then some shroud trimming on the fan. Hopefully I can get this done before my next wheeling trip in 2.5 weeks.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #93
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Timatoe will be interested in this, he has a 4.2L. Do you know which XJ's use the "R" pumps?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #94
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Timatoe will be interested in this, he has a 4.2L. Do you know which XJ's use the "R" pumps?
I'm pretty sure all 4.0's have the reverse rotation but I'm unsure about Timatoe's drive belt. I know he has a 4.2L but I'm not sure if he has a serpentine belt or V-belt. If he has a serpentine belt then he might have a chance.

I also found this thread from Mean Max on waterpumps and the differences between the YJ's.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...torial-893428/

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #95
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I'm pretty sure all 4.0's have the reverse rotation but I'm unsure about Timatoe's drive belt. I know he has a 4.2L but I'm not sure if he has a serpentine belt or V-belt. If he has a serpentine belt then he might have a chance.

I also found this thread from Mean Max on waterpumps and the differences between the YJ's.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...torial-893428/
Hey, thanks guys. I've got the serp set up. I'll keep this in mind, don't know right now when I'll have a chance to get around to it though.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #96
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Hey, thanks guys. I've got the serp set up. I'll keep this in mind, don't know right now when I'll have a chance to get around to it though.
No problem. I'd be interested in what you find.

A little progress today. I picked up my Hayden thermostat fan control kit from O'Reilly's and trimmed the Taurus shroud to fit. I noticed that I do not have the more square one but I can make this one work I believe. I also pulled the radiator to mount the fan. Something that I did find interesting was that my lower radiator hose has no wire in it .

I remember the stock lower hose had it and I must have put the new one in without thinking, of course I put that new one in years ago when I was younger and dumber. It makes more sense why my jeep would overheat after driving down the interstate for 20 minutes. I know the radiator is not plugged and going that fast gives good air flow so I was stumped. Now it seems that maybe the lower hose was collapsing while the motor was running around 2600 rpm's for an extended period of time going 70 mph.

Either way I'll post pics of the fan mounted and I'll also see about getting a new lower hose.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 07-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #97
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I got the fan mounted and I have about 3/16" between the edge of the fan motor and the waterpump pulley. I'll probably do a cherokee swap at some point but I think I'll be fine until then. I'll have to post pics later since it was dark. I also ran some wires and powered up the fan. It was pulling a good bit of air.

Oh and I mentioned getting a new lower radiator hose with a coil inside to keep it from collapsing. Well at work I got a stainless steel welding rod that was 1/8" thick and wrapped it around my hi-lift jack handle. I then got it in the hose halfway and had to get my neighbor to give me a hand. Turned out well.
photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 07-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #98
Uberjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For those running underhood relays and wanting some weather/mud protection, have a look at adding a second PDC under the hood. Gets you a few dozen extra high/low amp fuses, and six or eight relays. Check the third thing in the cheap junkyard finds post I had...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/3...0-less-861374/

I slightly modded the schematic that was posted earlier so that I could use two standard 35 relays in parallel rather than a high price/hard to find 50A+ relay. (This drawing has them as single relays, but there is actually two side by side for each fan speed) I also added LEDs for visual feedback of when the fan is on/off as well as hi/lo speed indicators. I have mine wired so that I can leave the fan on auto(set to either high or low speed), manual(high or low speed), and completely off (with flashing LED to remind me to turn it back on) for water crossings etc. My fan on auto will run when the key is turned off as well so that the engine cools when I stop.

The Taurus fan has been in my jeep for a couple of years now with zero failures. Hauling a triple axle trailer with an XJ on it up hills got the motor heated up enough that I finally got to use high speed on the fan, and maintained a 180-200 degree temp for the rest of the uphill. Definitely one of the best mods I've done for saftey.
YMMV
My Jeep has only ever killed three things. A deer, a dog, and my wallet.
*retired* Low Output Jeep Club # 135
Uberjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #99
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's how much clearance I have or lack there of. Definitely getting an XJ 4.0L water pump soon.
photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg   photo.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #100
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

With that and the "wired" hose, you should have no more overheating problems.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #101
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
With that and the "wired" hose, you should have no more overheating problems.
You are correct Mr. B!

I'm finished. I got all the wiring done yesterday afternoon and buttoned it all up and tuned my thermostat as best I could. It works great so far. Luckily I had an unused switch on my dash I installed years ago for hella lights I no longer have and the wires ran right to the thermostat. So I had a cutoff switch already there. I let the motor get a little hot with the switch off and when I turned it on, it cooled quickly during a hot day, in Georgia, in July.

I'll throw so more pics of my final setup with the wiring. I ended up picking up a 40 amp horn/lights relay from Autozone for $5.99 and some other connectors. I didn't want to use the Volvo 50 amp relay I picked up at the junkyard because the connector to the relay was in rough shape.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #102
danlee
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My jeep has a after market aluminum radiator, the electric existing fan only cools 2/3 of it, water temp runs alittle hot when I am pulling the dirt bikes up the mountain around 210- 230 deg

does anyone have dimentions on this Taurus fan replacement.
I would love to do the udgrade, but I need to know if it will fit.

Also my wrangler use to have a 4 cylinder, it was swapped to a IL6 cylinder FI,

Thanks
danlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #103
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Read this link from Pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/print...hreadid=120931

It should be included in this thread anyways because of all the good info.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #104
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is it possible to just run the fan to a toggle switch? I am sure with enough studying and time I could figure out all these relays and whatnot, but is it possible to just have it on a toggle switch with a "It's hot turn it on, it's not necessary turn it off" mentality? I don't trust my wiring skills enough to wire all of this temperature sensitive stuff up haha! Great write up though!
bigdhamYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #105
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You need at least a relay. The current the fan draws would be way too much to use a strait switched power through a toggle switch. If you get one of the fan controllers the directions are really good and if you actually read the directions you wouldn't have any problems wiring it. It's actuall very basic.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.