Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #61
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was looking at an old XJ at the junkyard the other day and on those the fan is not mouted to the water pump directly, but on an idler off to the side. The main point is that the water pump is way more tucked in. Seems like if it would fit it would really add a lot of room to fit the taurus fan.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #62
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I was looking at an old XJ at the junkyard the other day and on those the fan is not mouted to the water pump directly, but on an idler off to the side. The main point is that the water pump is way more tucked in. Seems like if it would fit it would really add a lot of room to fit the taurus fan.
You know I heard that before about the XJ water pump. Someone said it was a direct fit. Obviously I don't need it, but Timatoe has a 4.2 and wants to add a fan also. Has anyone used an XJ water pump on their 4.2L?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #63
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for lookin' out Ben. I hadn't ever heard that before.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #64
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepneewb View Post
I'm using afan from a 96 Mercury Mystique GS 16V, the fan is more to the size I can hopefully fit between the radiator and engine. If not I'll be putting it between the TJ grill and radiator when I do that swap. Not much space 3 3/4 inchs from the tip of the bolt to the radiator, so if I can't get a 1/4 inch I'm putting behind grill.
So you have a TJ? It would be good to fill out your Jeep profile. It helps us answer your questions. Those relays probably aren't rated high enough. If you put the fan in front of the radiator, you will have to reverse it's spin. You don't need the LED, it just helps in case the fan accidentally gets turned off. It happened to me,...kids!
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #65
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I DNK if the rating on the fan is similar to the other fan but if it is the 1 amp diode is too small and while the relay will work for low speed it will definetly not work for high speed. The Hayden controller is the one that I used and even in low the Tarus inrush is enough to blow a standard 25 amp fuse. I used a maxi 30 amp. The relays are rated for 30 amps so your fine on the low speed. If you are going to run the high speed you either need a contactor, Solid state relay, or a controller with a Pulsed control. BTW the inrush for high speed is much smaller if you have the fan spinning at full speed in low speed already.
This topic has been done so many times here there is a lot of good documentation.
Here is a link with the Hayden controller:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...nstall-535622/

Do a search on the forum using google. cut and paste the following into the search window and you will find all the info you need to set it up correctly:

site:jeepforum.com/forum/f12 current fan amps
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 01:40 AM   #66
Jeepneewb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks I'll check those out. I'm just trying to make sure I don't fry something, the controller I have is too big to fit in the fins and has a mount with it to mount it really close to the radiator itself. I'm gonna stick to that first since my radiator isn't stock.

Sorry about not having my info filled out. I have a YJ that I'm throwing a TJ grill on after I get it prepped. It will be painted to match the rest of the Jeep with the punisher skull on the hood with the teeth going down the grill.

During the swap if I can't get the fan to fit, I'm going to mod it to fit in the grill to pull the air in like it is suppose to. I just prefer to have it inside.
Jeepneewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #67
Jeepneewb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, I was able to get everything in and hooked up. I can't get the power to come on and have it wired just like the diagram. I can connect the power leads directly to the 50amp CB and it kicks on. I tried a BWD Automotive Relay part r3074 from checker auto parts, on the low side and still nothing. I tired heating up the sensor by using a lighter held away from it to heat it some nothing.

I have the wire from 86 on the low fan relay going into the number 2 spot on the controller. The controller used in the walk through is the same one I have. But the diagram shows a the second wire going to the power wire going into the fan instead of being grounded. How do I just bypass the whole thermostat? I don't see how having just one wire connect the temp controller to the relay works.

EDIT
K I got it working I think the fan is single speed everything I tried keeps it at one speed. I'm fine with that, it turns on as soon as I turn the jeep on. Now gotta fix the leaking thermostat housing and hopefully my water pump is fine since it is new. thermostat housing didn't have a thermostat in it may of been the reason why. After putting one in I noticed a crack in it. Or I may have miss seated it and cracked it myself. I'll post pics later.

Last edited by Jeepneewb; 05-03-2010 at 12:10 AM..
Unread 05-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #68
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepneewb View Post
Alright, I was able to get everything in and hooked up. I can't get the power to come on and have it wired just like the diagram. I can connect the power leads directly to the 50amp CB and it kicks on. I tried a BWD Automotive Relay part r3074 from checker auto parts, on the low side and still nothing. I tired heating up the sensor by using a lighter held away from it to heat it some nothing.

I have the wire from 86 on the low fan relay going into the number 2 spot on the controller. The controller used in the walk through is the same one I have. But the diagram shows a the second wire going to the power wire going into the fan instead of being grounded. How do I just bypass the whole thermostat? I don't see how having just one wire connect the temp controller to the relay works.

EDIT
K I got it working I think the fan is single speed everything I tried keeps it at one speed. I'm fine with that, it turns on as soon as I turn the jeep on. Now gotta fix the leaking thermostat housing and hopefully my water pump is fine since it is new. thermostat housing didn't have a thermostat in it may of been the reason why. After putting one in I noticed a crack in it. Or I may have miss seated it and cracked it myself. I'll post pics later.
Got some pics of it with the 4.2?
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #69
Jeepneewb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple I'll try to post more later. Tired and lazy right now. Still working on finish up the grill conversion.

Last edited by Jeepneewb; 05-09-2010 at 03:46 PM..
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #70
95greenrio
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn411 View Post
This is a popular mod for S10's with the 2.2 as well, I started to get the items needed for my xtreme and never did get the fan I ordered but this is the controller I picked up from Summit. Derale pn 16749 adjusts from 150-240 and uses a 3/8 probe you plumb to the engine. I don't like the other style that has the probe you stick through the rad. Not very acurate or stable without extra work.
Glad to see I can do this mod to my jeep,from what I have read it free's up 5-7 Hp. on the 2.2 so it must be close to that on the 2.5 as well.
Thanks for the link to the fan for $68 The one I ordered was somewhere around $150.
Littlejohn, how is this controller working for you?
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #71
khvnp1l0t
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was thinking about this mod. Really just because I like my time under the hood of my jeep and there's currently nothing to fix . I pretty much follow the plan here, I'm gonna go to the bone yard tomorrow and see if there are any vehicles with an acceptable 2-speed fan. My question is, do you need to use the thermostatic controller? I know it makes the thing kick in automatically when the temperature gets high enough, but would it work as a fully manual setup as well? Assuming I remember to turn it on whenever I'm at idle :P
khvnp1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #72
540i
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can make it fully manual and it will work fine but a controller is the best way to go, you only have to forget once.
540i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #73
highrolrcustoms
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i just received my fan in the mail the other day and gettin everything ready to wire it....i am gona use a 30 relay on the low setting but on high setting i cant make up my mind...i found this on ebay....check out the link below and let me know if this will work

PAC-80 80 Mobile Audio Relay Amp Battery Isolator +FREE - eBay (item 220608649896 end time Sep-16-10 14:22:06 PDT)

it says....80 Amps at 12V Continuous Power Handling
150 Amps Surge Power Handling
95 yj juggy, backhalfed, 3 link front with 16" fox dual rate remote resi coilovers, 4 link rear with 16" fox air shocks, Monster Stak 2 Speed transfer case 4.33:1, full width ford 78/79 dana 60hp front axle with 538 gears and full spool, ford sterling 10.25 full width rear axle with 538 gears welded and disc brake conversion, 42x15 swamper tsl's on 15x8 Allied wheels 3.5" backspacing with DIY beadlocks, High Steer with 1.5x.250 dom tubing, Full Hydro steering, custom cage, rci 2161a fuel cell ,smitty xrc 8 winch, cv driveshaft, jk motor mount lift, racing seats with simpson 5 point harnesses

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/3-4-ton-axle-swap-has-begun-1108933/[/url]

"THE MORE YA PLAY WITH IT.....THE BIGGER IT GETS"
highrolrcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #74
fwb35
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone tried a flex fan???
fwb35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #75
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I installed one once. I couldn't tell any difference with it.

However, I re-installed the OEM fan when one of the flex fan blades became loose and flew off and gouged a big ol' hole in my radiator!

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.