Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII)

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 03-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #46
rockinw
1982 CJ7 

I had not noticed, that's could be the differance.

rockinw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #47
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

going to the junkyard tomorrow. Any other special things for this I should be lookin for?
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #48
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green89yj View Post
going to the junkyard tomorrow. Any other special things for this I should be lookin for?

Well with a 4.2L you might have a space problem, unless you move the radiator or make the fan a pusher.

I did see a thread a day or two ago about cars with 50 amp relays. If you could find that thread, it might be helpful.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #49
matt240
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Whats a good key on power that will support the fan when its on? Thanks..
matt240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #50
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt240 View Post
Whats a good key on power that will support the fan when its on? Thanks..
The power for the fan should come directly from the battery. The relay, that controls the fan, doesn't draw much current. So it can be run from almost any ACC power. IIRC, I run mine from the fuse box under the dash.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #51
matt240
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ok.. thanks. i just put in a jeep liberty fan seems to be working good
matt240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #52
littlejohn411
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This is a popular mod for S10's with the 2.2 as well, I started to get the items needed for my xtreme and never did get the fan I ordered but this is the controller I picked up from Summit. Derale pn 16749 adjusts from 150-240 and uses a 3/8 probe you plumb to the engine. I don't like the other style that has the probe you stick through the rad. Not very acurate or stable without extra work.
Glad to see I can do this mod to my jeep,from what I have read it free's up 5-7 Hp. on the 2.2 so it must be close to that on the 2.5 as well.
Thanks for the link to the fan for $68 The one I ordered was somewhere around $150.
jeep.jpg  
Unread 03-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #53
littlejohn411
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry it's so big I tried to resize with no luck,I 'm not that great with computers
Unread 03-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #54
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I got one out of a cherokee that should hook right up to the harness from the 4.0 going in. That's why I asked, guess I should clarify that I'm in the middle of a swap.
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #55
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I use a DCC(Home) to control the taurus fan in my Yj. Not cheap($125) and custom made, so it takes a while to get it, but deals with the fan well.

Mine being installed.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #56
jagarcia82
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up a fan controller the other day, it looks like the probes everyones been putting threw the radiator. But on the instructions it says to remove the upper radiator hose and put the probe inside then put the hose back in. Should I get a diff controller or just stick that one in the radiator vents?
jagarcia82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 03:32 AM   #57
Jeepneewb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Alright I'm trying this now. I have a fan from a 94 mercury sable 3.0 V6, I've got a on-off-on switch from radio shack that is got six prongs on the back.

/ - \
\ - /
O F O

I have a feeling the two end connectors are for the input and the center two are for the output. Any feed back on that?

I also have two extra relays that are good I acquired when I got another wiring harness for my engine compartment. 88 YJ 4.2L Carb, I am not sure what these are for so I'm having trouble finding the amp rating for them. They are located on the bracket next to the battery. Any info on them would be great.

The fan controller I'm looking at is Hayden Thermostatic Fan Control: Adjustable; 32-248 Degrees F; Economy Model Part Number: 3653 from Checker Auto parts. Or this one Hayden Thermostatic Fan Control: Adjustable; 160-210 Degrees F; Push-In Probe Part Number: 3647 which the probe doesn't look thin enough the fit in the fins. Both are quite cheaper than the painless wiring one. Any one know any thing about these?

I'm also wondering the 50amp CB is that a inline 50amp fuse?

What type of diode is that? I'm buying stuff from radio shack as there isn't other electronic stores here in Oahu. All they have is 1amp diodes with 30amp surge with peak inverse voltage 200 (no idea what that means).

The LED relay what type and what amp rating do I need to get? Is it a relay like the others with a low amp rating? I was thinking if not needed to just run the 87a from the low fan relay to the ING switch. And to clarify that is a separate wire than the one that goes from the ING switch to the 3 position switch right?
Jeepneewb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #58
Jeepneewb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ugh try this again

Trying this again. I pulled some relays off a YJ jeep at a pick and pull. I also have two from a wiring harness that I put on my YJ 88 4.2. They came off the passenger side battery bracket mount. Will they do? Do I need to run the LED relay? I don't plan on turning this off unless I'm doing a water crossing.

I'll be it posted.
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #59
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagarcia82 View Post
I picked up a fan controller the other day, it looks like the probes everyones been putting threw the radiator. But on the instructions it says to remove the upper radiator hose and put the probe inside then put the hose back in. Should I get a diff controller or just stick that one in the radiator vents?
I put the probe in thru the fins and it works fine. Make the opening a little oversize and pack it with jb weld. It will keep the thing from rattling around and I would guess it will give a better reading with full contact.

make sure the relays are big enough. As I recall that fan draws 60+ amps on startup and I think it settles in at about 35-40.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #60
Jeepneewb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm using afan from a 96 Mercury Mystique GS 16V, the fan is more to the size I can hopefully fit between the radiator and engine. If not I'll be putting it between the TJ grill and radiator when I do that swap. Not much space 3 3/4 inchs from the tip of the bolt to the radiator, so if I can't get a 1/4 inch I'm putting behind grill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.