Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII)

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #31
540i
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't care much for used electrical stuff and did some looking and found a new Taurus fan from rockauto.com for $68. I've got it installed and just thought I'd pass on the price for new.

540i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 08:18 AM   #32
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540i View Post
I don't care much for used electrical stuff and did some looking and found a new Taurus fan from rockauto.com for $68. I've got it installed and just thought I'd pass on the price for new.
Good price for a brand new one!

If mine ever craps out I know where to go

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #33
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
I'm going to climb some hills tomorrow that I haven't done since before the fan/TB mods. Can't wait to see if it climbs easier!
YJake,

So what were your results?
Was there a noticeable difference in your rigs' performance on the trail?

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #34
4x4fisherman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice write up. but where did you put the radiator overflow and the power steering. i have every thing done i just need to anchor down the overflow and power steering.
4x4fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #35
bloopy901
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My fan had a bolt hole on the top right corner (looking at the front of the jeep), i just ran a small bolt through that and through the hole on the power steering reservoir and threw some washers and a nut on it... i can take a picture if I explained this all wrong lol.
bloopy901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #36
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Quad View Post
YJake,

So what were your results?
Was there a noticeable difference in your rigs' performance on the trail?

J-Quad
Sorry I missed that!

It keeps my engine very cool while on the trails and I can turn it off before entering water. I've had some people's engines start to over heat while crawling but I'll never have that problem.

It's nice peace of mind!

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
Unread 01-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #37
4x4fisherman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yeah pics would be nice, iv been trying to fab something but it seems i might need a differant overflow bottle.
i pulled my fan off a 94 tourus it has a nice shroud on it. but now my overflow seems to be too big.
if you got pics that might help or spark my imagination or something.

thanks
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #38
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4fisherman View Post
yeah pics would be nice, iv been trying to fab something but it seems i might need a differant overflow bottle.
i pulled my fan off a 94 tourus it has a nice shroud on it. but now my overflow seems to be too big.

thanks
Pics are on the first page

I got my fan out of a 1995 Taurus. It has worked flawlessly since I installed it.
Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #39
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
Sorry I missed that!

It keeps my engine very cool while on the trails and I can turn it off before entering water. I've had some people's engines start to over heat while crawling but I'll never have that problem.

It's nice peace of mind!

Jake
Sounds great, Jake!

Please explain the "I can turn it off before entering the water" thing..... if you do go deep enough to submerge it, what then - do you need to let it dry out before hitting the on switch or what?

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #40
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4fisherman View Post

thanks
Well if you're asking me, on my '94 YJ 2.5L, My overflow bottle is back behind the intake. The hose on the right is the overflow. And my power steering reservoir came out of a Volvo, and is attached to the wheelwell. The hose on the left in the pic is the D30 vent hose. So I don't know how to help you with your TJ.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #41
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Quad View Post
Sounds great, Jake!

Please explain the "I can turn it off before entering the water" thing..... if you do go deep enough to submerge it, what then - do you need to let it dry out before hitting the on switch or what?

J-Quad
Well you see, the cool thing about an electric fan is that you can wire up a toggle switch that controls the power to it. This allows me to shut the fan off before entering water with the flip of a switch.

Prehaps you're asking why I turn it off beforehand? Well if left running and the fan becomes submerged, the blades will break or bend from the force when they cut into the water. My old metal clutch fan blades were VERY bent and crooked from multiple submersions. I can only imagine how bad the plastic blades on an electric fan would fare...

That's why it's nice to have an "on/off" switch wired directly to the fan.

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #42
4x4fisherman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i see what you mean, my overflow is on the side of my radiator. i was looking at puting a differant overflow in like a 94 mustang 5.0l, it looks like it might work. well thanks anyway, nice pics
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #43
MarylandJeep91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Nice write-up. I tried this mod several years ago. I snagged a taurus fan from a junkyard and took it home. I tried to fit the fan down in between the radiator and waterpump pulley but it wouldn't fit. I saw someone else said they were able to make it work. Maybe I had the wrong fan motor of something, because it seemed to stick out a little. The one above doesn't seem to as much.

I got to thinking though, how much extra power does the give? Is it noticeable in the seat? My 4.0 doesn't run hot like it use to after I replaced the radiator for the 3rd time. So cooling is not an issue. I guess something to think about though. How much was the wiring kit for it?
what type of radiator did you get?
MarylandJeep91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #44
rockinw
1982 CJ7 

Fans

How are yaull getting enough space to mount these fans in a CJ with a 4.2? I have both the Taurus fan and the Contour fan and neither will fit. Is there a differance in radaitor sizes? Maybe I have a 3 core,I will check, and yaull have a 2 core and there is a size issue. If that is the case I will order a new radaitor so the fan will fit. I did mount the Contour fan on my brother inlaws CJ7 with a 360. The same fan with my 4.2 just wont fit and the taurus fan is way thicker.
rockinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #45
MarylandJeep91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinw View Post
How are yaull getting enough space to mount these fans in a CJ with a 4.2? I have both the Taurus fan and the Contour fan and neither will fit. Is there a differance in radaitor sizes? Maybe I have a 3 core,I will check, and yaull have a 2 core and there is a size issue. If that is the case I will order a new radaitor so the fan will fit. I did mount the Contour fan on my brother inlaws CJ7 with a 360. The same fan with my 4.2 just wont fit and the taurus fan is way thicker.
If you notice, most of the guys in this thread are YJ's and TJ's

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.