Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #16
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have to ask, with the stock 75amp alternator (with the 4cyl), do you have any problems running accesories while the fan kicks on? such as lights or the heater or a winch?

my worries about my alternator have been the only thing stopping me from doing the taurus fan mod.

1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #17
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
I have to ask, with the stock 75amp alternator (with the 4cyl), do you have any problems running accesories while the fan kicks on? such as lights or the heater or a winch?

my worries about my alternator have been the only thing stopping me from doing the taurus fan mod.

I believe the stock alternator is 90 amps. But if your concerned, check out the link below. This was the easiest mod I have ever done to the Jeep.

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/

Oh and I have only ever had to run high speed twice. Both times the Jeep was fully loaded and it was a steep incline.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #18
haulincats
1998 TJ Wrangler 

does the electric fan push air or pull air?
What does the stock mechanical fan do, push or pull?
Thanks,
Vance
haulincats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #19
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

They pull air like any other fan?

I put a 4.0TB in at about the same time as I put the fan in a couple months ago and it works great. I know for a fact that I have more pep off of the starting line and it accelerates quicker as well. I have the 70Amp alternator and the guage always reads with the needle at the center, so it seems to be plenty to run the fan on low. (The needle twitches when I turn the fan on but goes right back to normal)

Now, I wired the fan to my ignition so it only runs when the key is in the "On" position. I also put in a toggle switch so that I can kill the fan when I go underwater, or while I'm on the highway (I noticed that just driving 60-70mph keeps my engine cool enough without the fan on even in summer! ).

I'm going to climb some hills tomorrow that I haven't done since before the fan/TB mods. Can't wait to see if it climbs easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #20
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a sable fan, the shroud has a kind of ">" shape on it. It is too thick to fit my 4.2L between the radiator & bolted pulley. I'm thinking the one pictured might be a little bit thinner.

Anyone do this mod to a 4.2L & remember what vehicle (Make/model/year) the fan is out of?

90YJ98XJ
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #21
bloopy901
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My fan finally installed!

Here is the finished product...

bloopy901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #22
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great job Bloopy. That looks like a Mark VII fan. Are you eventually going to run the wires in your electrical box through the holes you drilled, and then close it up?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #23
bloopy901
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I want to. Hopefully this weekend. I want to clean it up and all that.
Unread 09-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #24
wfcxleatherneck
1993 XJ Cherokee 

How did you get the prob through the rad? ( sorry if this is a total newb question)

Wouldnt that cause it to leak?
wfcxleatherneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #25
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The probe pushes through the fins just below the top hose so it gets the temp from the incoming water into the radiator. There are alot of kits available. I got mine from autozone for 35 dollars. Easy to install and works very well. I wired up the low side automatic and high side and off through a 2 position switch. I was using the stock alternator when I hooked it up for the first 2 months with no problems. I went to the alternator mod after because I am getting ready to mount a winch. The stock alternator didnt have any problems with only the fan mod and a decent stereo added. Great write up!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 07:51 AM   #26
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I made the openinging in the fins a little oversize and packed it with jb weld. the probe does not flop around and it will certainly transfer the heat measurement better.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #27
bloopy901
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I stuck a small philips screw driver in first to make a small hole for the probe to fit into. As for the jbweld that is a good idea ill have to try that.
Unread 11-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #28
njmrenegade
1993 YJ Wrangler 

my mom has a 1994 taurus shes trying to sell, just wondering if it would be worth it to steal the fan, i dont really crawl or off road for that matter, should i do this anyway?
njmrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #29
davidselite737
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ill post pics of mine sometime this week. I matted the taurus 3.8L fan to the stock 2.5L jeep fan shroud to cover more surface area of the radiator. And plus I could use the stock bolt locations to hold it to the Rad. Ran it offroad this past Saturday. had no issues whatsoever. Only have the low speed on an adjustable thermostatic relay. And wired the 12 volt trigger wire to a rocker switch in the cab to be able to turn it off when I wanted. Works flawlessly and after adjustment keeps the water temp gauge between 180-210 always.
Unread 11-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #30
bloopy901
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmrenegade View Post
my mom has a 1994 taurus shes trying to sell, just wondering if it would be worth it to steal the fan, i dont really crawl or off road for that matter, should i do this anyway?
I don't off road much my self. Maybe once a month but still the electric fan is a good mod to do. Lets my jeep warm up faster for those cold mornings. Plus its easy as hell to do.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.