Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII) - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII)

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 06-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #136
YJ43
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Que! Let me know when you're in Chicago next, I owe you a few beers!

1995 YJ: 4.0L I-6 and AW-4 trans; CJ front clip; SOA front, 4-link in rear; 8.8 rear w/ Detroit locker; 4.56 gears; TJ front shafts; SYE; 1" Body lift; JB4x4 hi-steer; Ford Taurus fan; B&M Hi-Tek trans cooler; 35" Procomp MT on aluminum wheels
YJ43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #137
YJ43
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I seem to be having issues running this...I bought the $35 Hayden controller that has it's own built in relay...I had it just running through that on low speed for a little bit and it worked. Now I'm trying to wire in high-speed as well following the diagram on page 1. When I connect the controller similar to the diagram on page 1 to pin 86 on the low speed relay, I only get high speed...is this because I need to eliminate the extra low-speed relay that I've added and just use the one included in the controller? This probably isn't making sense, but this is the one I have:

http://www.haydenauto.com/New%20Prod...r/Content.aspx

The way that I have this set up is the orange wire going to pin 86 on another low speed relay and then the high speed wired up like the diagram on page 1...any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong.
1995 YJ: 4.0L I-6 and AW-4 trans; CJ front clip; SOA front, 4-link in rear; 8.8 rear w/ Detroit locker; 4.56 gears; TJ front shafts; SYE; 1" Body lift; JB4x4 hi-steer; Ford Taurus fan; B&M Hi-Tek trans cooler; 35" Procomp MT on aluminum wheels
Unread 07-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #138
YJ43
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Figured it out...with that controller, you don't need another relay, just take the low speed wire to the ignition wire and then run the high speed on it's own higher amp relay to the wire on the high speed switch. I was trying to use another relay for the low speed, which isn't necessary (essentially 3 relays), if that makes any sense, lol.
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #139
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That controller looks like it has a second relay for high speed. I'm glad you figured it out. When I did this back in 2007, there were no controllers like that.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #140
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

With the low speed already turning the fan the high speed doesn't generate the 80 amps in rush so you just need to make sure the relay is rated for 40 amps. I still haven't needed to wire in the high speed on mine. The low speed moves enough air to cool it.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #141
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
With the low speed already turning the fan the high speed doesn't generate the 80 amps in rush so you just need to make sure the relay is rated for 40 amps. I still haven't needed to wire in the high speed on mine. The low speed moves enough air to cool it.
Yeah, I've only had to use high speed a couple of times. Only on a steep grade, fully loaded.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #142
99_green_tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

can you just wire the fan straight to a toggle switch and cut it off and on with that? I looked through thred and didnt see anything that stood out.
99_green_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #143
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No. It would seriously overload most switches
Unread 09-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #144
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_green_tj View Post
can you just wire the fan straight to a toggle switch and cut it off and on with that? I looked through thred and didnt see anything that stood out.
Like kjg26 said. You would at least have to run it through a relay also. But why would you want to do that? When I'm on the road, I have most of my attention on all those idiot drivers out there. When I'm on the trail, I'm looking at the next rock I'm going to climb. It only takes a few minutes of distraction, and you are overheating your engine. why would you want to risk that?

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #145
Treton
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So, I'm sorry if this was expressed previously and I missed it but. I'm working on a little buggy type thing and if I wanted to set this up so so it just runs full time low with a on/off bypass. Could someone also give me the dimensions of the Taurus unit?
Treton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #146
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Has anyone done this Mod to a TJ/LJ 4.0?

What would be the disadvantages?

I see the advantage with water fording and what not.

Are there any other plusses to switching things out to an electric Fan on a 4.0?

Very good write up that looks easy to understand.

2006 2DR LJ RUBICON UNLIMITED / Old Man Emu (OME) 2.5" HD Lift / ARB Quadratec Edition Front Stubby / LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper & T/C

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.
CaveyDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #147
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTurbo View Post
Has anyone done this Mod to a TJ/LJ 4.0?

What would be the disadvantages?

I see the advantage with water fording and what not.

Are there any other plusses to switching things out to an electric Fan on a 4.0?

Very good write up that looks easy to understand.
Consider usuing a volvo relay if you do this. Much simpler IMHO
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #148
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Consider usuing a volvo relay if you do this. Much simpler IMHO
Good note to add to my list of info on this subject. Still not sure I want to do this as its pretty invasive. Im not finding a lot of TJ folks that have made this leap, but I'm not done looking around yet either.

2006 2DR LJ RUBICON UNLIMITED / Old Man Emu (OME) 2.5" HD Lift / ARB Quadratec Edition Front Stubby / LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper & T/C

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.
CaveyDM is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.