Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII)

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Electric Fan Install Write up (Taurus, Mark VII)

I started this about a year ago, but never finished it. Life kept getting in the way.

Iíve been looking for ways to help out my poor little 2.5L engine. There isnít much out there. If I could just get a little more MPH on the freeway, Iíd be happy. The electric fan conversion seemed to be an inexpensive way to help. I also liked the idea of being able to control the fan when the need arises. When rock crawling, I have noticed temperature rising to over 210. There wasnít much I could do about it before, but now I can switch the fan to high if I need to. Although river crossings are rare here in Northern California, they do happen. Now I can turn off the fan before I go in.
The first thing I needed was a Fan. I went to the local Pic and Pull and started searching. The type of 2 speed fan that is needed is on a 3.8L V6 Taurus from 1990 through 1995, I believe. Well there were plenty of 3.8L Taurus junkers out there, but of dubious fan quality. Then I came upon a 1994 Mercury Cougar with a 4.6L V8. You could tell the car was well taken care of by the owner until someone T-boned it. The cowling was bigger than the Taurus fan, and the blades were different. But the motor was the same. It was a Lincoln Mark VII fan.

When I got it home, I removed my OEM shroud, and placed fan up against the radiator, and it was a perfect fit. It covered the core completely. And it sat perfectly in between the upper and lower lips. Since I am around fourth owner of this Jeep, I can't be sure if the radiator is comparable to OEM. But there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary though. Notice the belt routing picture on the top. I took a picture of the original, and printed it on label paper, then covered it with packing tape. It still looks the same after 1 1/2 years.

Since it was such a perfect fit, mounting it was a piece of cake. Because there was no downward stress from sitting on the lip, I could use pipe strapping and dry wall screws (I think) to mount it to the original shroud mounting holes. I had to drill out the holes on the pipe strap a bit, to fit the original bolts.

The next issue was controlling the fan. I did alot of research, both here and on other sites. There were alot of diagrams out there. I took what I liked and designed my own.

The two fan relays are 50A Bosch relays, that I purchased from this site. They are a wholesaler, so if you want to purchase from them, you have to register as a company.

http://www.waytekwire.com/

The switch is a high current, on-off-on switch that I bought from a local electronics store. The diode is there to reduce back flow current to the relay when the fan is off, but spinning from air circulation. I got it at the same place as the switch. If you want to buy one, just bring the part number into an electronics store, and they can match it.
Now I had to buy a controller. Since money was tight at the time, I bought a cheapo Advance Auto controller. You can use any controller you want, the diagram will still work. Since my controller wasn't waterproof, I had to find a way to seal it up. An outdoor electrical box was the answer. With some bending and coaxing, I was able to get the mounting bracket that came with it in the electrical box. There were only two wires coming out of the box. One was the probe and the other was the positive. I sealed the hole with RTV afterwards. Since I mounted to the wheel well, I used it as the ground.

Here is a pic of everything mounted on the wheel well.

The stupid air horns aren't there anymore.

Because the cowling on this fan is such a tight fit and narrow, I decided to run the probe from the front of the radiator. Here is a pic of the probe entering the front of the radiator. And another one of it coming out the rear.

I used some heat shrink tubing on the front and the back, with black heat resistant zip-ties to hold them in place.
With everything mounted and in place, it was time to adjust the controller. Because it was a cheapo, it took me awhile to get it right. While I was testing, I noticed that it was shutting off rather fast. I figured that the fan was so good, that it was cooling off the probe also. To solve this problem, I discovered that the distance between the cowling and the radiator was exactly the length of an old 35MM plastic film canister. So I attached it to the cowling so it covered the probe on the backside. This worked well since the probe was inserted from the front. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the canister mounted. I used a Fluke temp probe to check the function of the controller. The fan kicks in at around 198 degrees, and shuts off at 147 degrees. That is the temperature of the front of the radiator where the probe is, not the temperature inside the engine. In the year and a half that I have had it installed, I have not had a single problem with it. The only time I have ever had to switch to high was climbing the steep grade driving up to the Barrett Lake trail with a fully packed Jeep. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Here's a pic of everything installed.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...

Last edited by Mr.B; 06-16-2008 at 09:27 AM..
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did this same mod to my 4.0L yesterday. Although it's a pretty tight fit (<3/8" clearance), you can do this to a 4.0L.
Unread 01-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishdwarf
I did this same mod to my 4.0L yesterday. Although it's a pretty tight fit (<3/8" clearance), you can do this to a 4.0L.
Was it a Taurus fan? And did you rotate it upside down?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
sstaurus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have to use that probe in the radiator? Or is there a better way to tap right into the coolant in the block... I'd like to do this to my 2.5
Unread 01-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaurus
Do you have to use that probe in the radiator? Or is there a better way to tap right into the coolant in the block... I'd like to do this to my 2.5
I think Drew2000 has a different controller. do some research on electric fan controllers. Mine cost $17. I think his was @ $150.

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-16-2008, 12:54 AM   #6
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B
Was it a Taurus fan? And did you rotate it upside down?
Yes, and yes. Even so it barely fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaurus
There's a way, but it's a lot more work than this. I have put electric fan systems on Chevy 350s and used a Dodge thermal switch ( I don't remember what model Dodge it fits, but I can probably find out if anyone cares) that threads right into the thermostat housing. I'm sure you could do something like that, but I don't think you can buy a thermostat housing for the Jeep 2.5L with a threaded hole already in it.

If there are any unused plugs that go in the water jacket I'm sure you could make it work. Otherwise you would have to make someplace for the switch (or probe, if you like the adjustable controllers) to go.
Unread 06-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
FF151DJG
1997 TJ Wrangler 

horse pawer

did it give more horsepower and what do your temp run
FF151DJG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
Brads_nky_yj

I would love to do this on my 4.0, but I have no idea how to read and understand that wiring diagram, I geuss I just hate wiring that much. If I get all the parts I could figure it out probably.
Unread 07-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
bloopy901
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the great step by step!

I dont want to steal any of your credit for any of this but, I made the schematic a little easier for noobs like me at reading schematics... I just added some color

It helped me to differenciate between connections and what not. Maybe it will help other people.

bloopy901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice write-up. I tried this mod several years ago. I snagged a taurus fan from a junkyard and took it home. I tried to fit the fan down in between the radiator and waterpump pulley but it wouldn't fit. I saw someone else said they were able to make it work. Maybe I had the wrong fan motor of something, because it seemed to stick out a little. The one above doesn't seem to as much.

I got to thinking though, how much extra power does the give? Is it noticeable in the seat? My 4.0 doesn't run hot like it use to after I replaced the radiator for the 3rd time. So cooling is not an issue. I guess something to think about though. How much was the wiring kit for it?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopy901 View Post
Thanks for the great step by step!

I dont want to steal any of your credit for any of this but, I made the schematic a little easier for noobs like me at reading schematics... I just added some color

It helped me to differenciate between connections and what not. Maybe it will help other people.

Nice job on the color. It doesn't do much for me, but if it helps others, it's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie4 View Post
Nice write-up. I tried this mod several years ago. I snagged a taurus fan from a junkyard and took it home. I tried to fit the fan down in between the radiator and waterpump pulley but it wouldn't fit. I saw someone else said they were able to make it work. Maybe I had the wrong fan motor of something, because it seemed to stick out a little. The one above doesn't seem to as much.

I got to thinking though, how much extra power does the give? Is it noticeable in the seat? My 4.0 doesn't run hot like it use to after I replaced the radiator for the 3rd time. So cooling is not an issue. I guess something to think about though. How much was the wiring kit for it?
It might not give you any noticable power with your 4.0, but it will probably help in cooling at low RPM's, like rock crawling.

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
River Ryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I ran a 1.5" pipe with a temp switch in line with the top rad hose. Just trimmed a section out of it. The sensor was out of a 95 caprice, kicked in at 195. The fan was out of a 88' Firebird (given to me from a friend).

Worked pretty good, I noticed the biggest difference on the trail while doing steep climbs, engine stayed nice and cool. As far as a performance aspect, I didn't notice too much other than it seemed to wind up a little faster not very noticeable. Those clutch fans are heavy.

The best thing about it; warms up really fast in the winter. That's big here in the snow belt of CNY

1997 Cherokee Sport 2 door 5spd. 4.0L H.O. Cold air Intake, Flow master 40. (Daily Driver) 2.5" lift
River Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #13
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 2 speed taurus fan in my garage... I want to have it temperature controlled but also have a 3 way switch to override it when needed (including turning it off). Is that how you guys have it setup? (I too am a wiring moron)

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

It should be noted........

Taurus fans on "high" can draw more than the 50 amps at startup. I used one for quite some time and went through a couple relay's. In the end, the fan blew hard enough on low that I removed the high circuit. It kept my 4.0L cool.
Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice!

I'd love to do this to help out my little 2.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.