electric fan conversion? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > electric fan conversion?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
DominicVan91
2006 TJ Wrangler 

electric fan conversion?

so i was thinking of converting to an electric fan.....is it worth it in the jeep?
my buddy claims he gained 30Hp in his f150
and if thats true then ill take 30 Hp for my truck

every Hp counts

is it an easy do it yourselfer for the beginner?

DominicVan91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am pretty sure most people say that you gain 5hp. I believe 30hp to be a little "high".

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
CLIMBaMTN
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i'd recommend it..when i got my jeep it had an electric fan installed already but with wires hanging and not hooked up. I removed the fan clutch, and wired up the fan to a switch...I can definitly feel a difference, i wouldn't say 30hp though..maybe 8-10...but on a 4 cylinder every bit helps if u ask me
CLIMBaMTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Jsplurge
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know about the 30hp for sure, but it certainly will help take strain of your serpentine belt though for certain, and maybe a little HP gain. But I think it's a good mod.
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
DominicVan91
2006 TJ Wrangler 

theres no serpentine

its one beltfor the alternator and one for the power steering

very basic....

good idea to wire it up to a switch...my buddy somehow wired his up to the thermostate sensor or something
he didnt explain much

would i need the fan shroud still? no right?
DominicVan91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
CLIMBaMTN
1995 YJ Wrangler 

he used a temp switch which probably cost $30 or more...mine was $5...the only time you need a fan is on a hot day, in traffic, or offroading sometimes...I have a lighted switch mounted right under my temp gauge.

yeah you can ditch the shroud
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My set up eneded up costimg me around $45 including the fan, wires, switch, and relay.

You WILL NOT gain 30hp. Maybe 5-8hp, but NOT 30hp.

I noticed a difference in low end power, and being as my engine runs relatively cool anyway, I hardly ever have to use the fan unless I'm idling in traffic. It'll take my temp from 210 to 150 degrees in just 1 minute! Also good for when I go through water, being as my Jeep is stock height, turning off the fan whenever I want is very important.

I say do it, but don't expect there to be any BIG power gains.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Most people use the fan from a ford Taurus... It's got two speeds and it has a shroud built onto it that fits Jeep radiators perfectly. I have this conversion on my jeep (4.0) and I really didnt notice a HP difference but my engine definatly runs cooler.

A claim of 30 HP is beyond excessive, stock cherokees (for example) get an average of less than fifty HP to the wheel, so 30 HP would be a nearly 50% increase rofl... MAYBE 5 HP... maybe... Those cluch fans really arnt that "hard" to spin and really dont take that much drag off the motor. What is good about electric fans are the fact that they do not slow down when sitting in traffic, your cluch fan speed increases as the engine RPM increases... well, at a light, your RPMs are very low so your fan runs slow. Electric fans continue to pour cool air through the radiator and over the engine even at idle (on the TRAIL )

Anyway, it's a great conversion, frees up tons of space in your engine compartment, looks awsome, cools better, and does offer minimal HP gains. As for "easy" well, it's as easy as wiring offroad lights, you have two wires, a switch, and a battery, and your done. A lot of people (including myself) buy a "thermostat switch" which is a probe that you put between the fins on your radiator and it turns the fan on at a predertimined temperature, this keeps the fan from running while on the highway or before the engine heats up which saves draw on the battery. These switches can be purchased from advance/autozone next to THEIR electric fans, and run around $10.00 to $40.00 depending on if you want to set the temperature yourself or not.

Great mod... go for it! its FUN!
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would definitely recommend a thermostat. It takes the "human" element out of it. You don't have to think about it anymore. There are lots of wiring diagrams out there to do it cheap. You could probably do it for $25 to $30.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Deezelweazel
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Oh my god, another " I gained an insane performance increase with my E-fan" post...
Unread 12-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
jerseyrider1119
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Im 90% sure their wouldnt be a HP gain unless you completely remove the fan blade and run only the e-fan
reason: It might be less drag on the serpentine which IS ON yj modles from 92-95 pre 92 had saprate belts for ps pump, alt, ect. I thought about doing this mod for the summer time and just incase an overheating issue. but aafter a long search at local junkyards i cant up empty handed just my $0.02
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.

I only read the pictures!

95 Rio Grande- 4" Pro Comp lift, 235x75r15 on stock Alloys, Boomerangs, Piolet Trail Lights, Hurc'd, No Sways or Trac, Custom Under Dash Wiring Harness
jerseyrider1119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
xcnick38
1991 YJ Wrangler 

my 91' only has one belt, it drives PS, WP and alt...

i just did electric fan on mine, i got it from advance auto, $70 for the 16" fan. ran the wires inside and hooked up a toggle switch on my "control panel" and it works great!
Unread 12-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No you wont gain 30 hp, maybe 5. It's an easy mod, pretty cheap, and can be done in about an hour. I picked up a ford taurus 2 speed fan and an DC Control Fk-35 fan controller. The fan controller helps a lot and gets the job done, but the wiring can be done for cheaper, I believe Mr.B has a good write up, post #9 here in your thread.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick38 View Post

i just did electric fan on mine, i got it from advance auto, $70 for the 16" fan. ran the wires inside and hooked up a toggle switch on my "control panel" and it works great!

Is that not a serpentine belt, when only one belt runs the whole show ?

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
CLIMBaMTN
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick38 View Post

if you have a 91 you should have 2 belts...what i'm thinking is a PO swapped in a newer 2.5 into you rig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.