electric fan ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > electric fan ?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-15-2002, 09:27 AM   #1
MY95

electric fan ?

I have heard of some people changing to an electric fan to get more power from their 4cyl. If anyone has done this let me know what the gains were and how much trouble it was to do.

MORE 5/8" Boomerang shackles, Hi-Lift Jack
4.0 TB w/ poweraid spacer, Rustys air tube, K&N filter
[COLOR=white]WHITE[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]Jeep club member # 007[/COLOR]
MY95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 10:56 AM   #2
AJ

It's easy to do, costs about $80 for the fan and controller and you'll get 1-2 mpg.
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 01:49 PM   #3
MY95

Will this give me any more HP from my 4banger
MORE 5/8" Boomerang shackles, Hi-Lift Jack
4.0 TB w/ poweraid spacer, Rustys air tube, K&N filter
[COLOR=white]WHITE[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]Jeep club member # 007[/COLOR]
MY95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 02:57 PM   #4
Matt Bodnar

Could I grab a electric fan system from a torus or tempo,..or a diferent car of that sort and wire it all in?...seem to me like it would work,.and be wayy cheaper. Just needs abit more thought.
thanks Matt
Matt Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 03:11 PM   #5
AllanAlxndr

I have also been looking into getting an electic fan, or maybe even the electric dual fan... Any Ideas on costs and where to get them.

Thanks
Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 04:21 PM   #6
95yj-4 cyl

Good question about an electric fan set-up. I asked on a different site and only got responses from guys with V-8 conversions. I would like to know the horsepower gains, mileage gains, and how well does it cool (compared with stock)? Even if it's only 10-20 horses, thats an improvement (a few horses on the 4 cyl makes as much difference as 30-40 horses on a bigger engine).
95 yj, 4 cyl, auto trans, 4:88 gears, detroit front locker, rear detroit with super 35 kit, short shaft conversion, 4" superlift, 32" superswamper radials
95yj-4 cyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2002, 12:57 PM   #7
jeepinkeif

Here's a Thought, sell that POS 4 banger and swap in a 350 small block. There, horsepower problem solved.
jeepinkeif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2002, 06:51 PM   #8
AJ

Your horsepower gains will depend on the condition of the viscous coupler on your current fan. If it's old and seized you will see a better gain than if it's new and freewheels as it should. Regardless, clutch fans suck, don't work, and should be banned for all eternity
I did several bolt on mods all at once, so I can't give you a piece by piece breakdown. I ended up with about 7mpg better, and I can usually use 5th gear on the highway. My tires are 4" overstock and I haven't regeared yet. I haven't adjusted the speedometer gear yet, so I estimate about 18mpg currently. 15 indicated by my odometer. That's with my 4.0. I would imagine since it's a less powerful motor, you will get a better result percentage wise.
Unread 02-16-2002, 07:11 PM   #9
evilpsych

hrmm what about water resistance of the electric fans, I hear horror stories about the elec fans failing and overheating the vehicle.. also, is there a higher performance radiator out there over the stock radiator for the '93 w/ a 4.0L

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2002, 01:56 PM   #10
AJ

I've been in water over the headlights (briefly) and no probs with the fan.
Unread 02-17-2002, 02:19 PM   #11
gifargis

I have been using my flexlite fan in my jeep for about 2 years now.. It has never failed on me without user error... MY jeep is a four cyl... and on the highway it seems to pick up speed with a lot more ease... thats about all you will feel with the fan.. one down fall though.. your temp will rise and fall dramatically.. (ie. 160 thermo.. 180-210) driving range.. 80 degree weather.. in other words easy cracked block if not cooled enough... and it tends to kick in every now and then when the jeep is off. people always think my jeep is still running even after i turn the key..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.