electric fan for a 2.5 question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > electric fan for a 2.5 question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 06-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
usmc0331
1992 YJ Wrangler 

electric fan for a 2.5 question

I just bought a fan from local picnpull. it came off a 94 ford Taurus 3.0 or 3.6. Nice find...good condition. Now what I am looking for is possibly a diagram of how to get this thing wired in and also what do I take off from engine.ie. other fan. also I am not sure if the fan is two speed. I guess I can research that.

off subject. I installed a 4.0 tb yesterday in my 4banger. I got to say it was a great improvement. Runs smoother and more response.

usmc0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum and judging by your screen name, thank you for your service.
There are scores of theads about e-fans here, a search will produce so much info you'll be sorry you started looking. Here's a decent starting point.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...cheap-1325896/
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I am kinda partial to white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
That's racist, Chris.
DirtKar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
usmc0331
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks dirkar. I still have no idea what i need and how to do. The link was great. but still very confused. I am going to post a pic of my fan i got and the wires that are coming out of the motor of it. Thanks again
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Post up what you have and we'll try and help you. I used a Hayden 2 speed controller that I picked up thru my local parts store. It bypasses all of the junkyard parts gathering and supplies you with everything you will need to get your fan working for around $45. The kit has a push through the fins type of temp sensor which is unpopular with some folks but I have had no issues whatsoever with mine. Do a google search on Hayden fan controls and you will see some more options.
Quote:
Quote:
That's racist, Chris.
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I used the Volvo controller and it was all pretty much plug and play when used with the volvo fan and shroud....

From what I hear, the hard part to find is the inline temp switch housing from the Saab though....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I used a derale fan controller and 2 realys for mine. It's off a crown vic, 2 speed. i used the temp control for the low speed and have a switch for off and high. I can try to find my diagram and post it. Works great so far and no expensive relays. Just regular 30A NC-NO automotive relays.
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Higher price option I used the hollister controller.
http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddet...?prod=MarkVIII
If you go this route do not bother with their temp sensors.
I used one of the ones in the previous post and this inline with my upper radiator hose, drilled and tapped to accept the sensor.
http://www.steigerperformance.com/
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcracker View Post
I used the Volvo controller and it was all pretty much plug and play when used with the volvo fan and shroud....

From what I hear, the hard part to find is the inline temp switch housing from the Saab though....
Yep, the inline temp switch housing is what led me to the Hayden controller. I have all of the other Volvo parts sitting in my parts box but could not find the housing.
Quote:
Quote:
That's racist, Chris.
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a list of what I have to set mine up. Taurus can, spal 185 on 165 off temp sender, 35 amp self resetting breaker and a 85amp constant duty solenoid.

8ga wire runs from the batt to the self resetting breaker then to on big lug on the solenoid. Another 8ga wire is connected to the stock can wire for high speed. The switch power for the solenoid comes from an ign hot 12 source. The relay ground then goes from the ground lug, my dash switch for on/off then out to the spal sender. When the motor heats up the sender grounds the circuit which turns the solenoid on and runs the fan. I decided not to go with a fancy pants high dollar controller. Coming from Florida it's not gonna bother me to run on high speed all the time.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbos76cj View Post
Here's a list of what I have to set mine up. Taurus can, spal 185 on 165 off temp sender, 35 amp self resetting breaker and a 85amp constant duty solenoid.

8ga wire runs from the batt to the self resetting breaker then to on big lug on the solenoid. Another 8ga wire is connected to the stock can wire for high speed. The switch power for the solenoid comes from an ign hot 12 source. The relay ground then goes from the ground lug, my dash switch for on/off then out to the spal sender. When the motor heats up the sender grounds the circuit which turns the solenoid on and runs the fan. I decided not to go with a fancy pants high dollar controller. Coming from Florida it's not gonna bother me to run on high speed all the time.
Where did you put the sending unit?
Quote:
Quote:
That's racist, Chris.
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
usmc0331
1992 YJ Wrangler 

alright folks...thanks for all the replys. i am posting a pic of the fan i got. it again is off a 94 taurus. it has 3 wires coming out of the motor housing as you can see in pic. a black, a blue and a black with orange stripe.
fan.jpg  
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
Where did you put the sending unit?
Since I'm nuttered and not running any of that stupid emissions stuff I pulled one of the unused sensors from the side of my intake and placed it there.. I thought I had a pic but can seem to find it.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0331 View Post
alright folks...thanks for all the replys. i am posting a pic of the fan i got. it again is off a 94 taurus. it has 3 wires coming out of the motor housing as you can see in pic. a black, a blue and a black with orange stripe.
I've never been able to find a answer for what wire does what. Hook the black wire to a ground, and power each of the other wires one at a time.. Should be able to ell the difference between high and low.
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #14
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here's my write up from another site.

After much tech talk with several people I decided to go with using a 85 amp constant duty solenoid to run my fan. Heres how its gonna go.

8 ga wire direct from the battery to a 30 amp self resetting breaker.

then to the solenoid

Which I have mounted here

I get my power for the the switch side of the solenoid from the "fan power" wire from the new wiring harness. To switch the fan on I picked up a spal 185 on 165 off temp switch

The ground wire will go through the fire wall to my switch so I will be able to turn it off if need be. all I have left to do now is install fan and decide if I want to use 8 or 10 ga wire to go from the solenoid to the fan. I was planning on using 8 but I think the fan is wired with 10
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That solenoid is spst.. So it will only run one speed. The do sell em as dpdt also which will allow you to run high or low speed. As for the self resetting breaker I may take it up to a 40 or 50 amp I'd needed. I also like this set up because if there's a failure of either the breaker or the solenoid I can easily move the wire that goes from the breaker to the solenoid from the lugs its on now to the oposite set of lugs so my fan turn on so I won't be stock on the side of the road.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.