JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   electric fan for a 2.5 question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/electric-fan-2-5-question-1540051/)

usmc0331 06-22-2013 08:43 PM

electric fan for a 2.5 question
 
I just bought a fan from local picnpull. it came off a 94 ford Taurus 3.0 or 3.6. Nice find...good condition. Now what I am looking for is possibly a diagram of how to get this thing wired in and also what do I take off from engine.ie. other fan. also I am not sure if the fan is two speed. I guess I can research that.:cheers2:


off subject. I installed a 4.0 tb yesterday in my 4banger. I got to say it was a great improvement. Runs smoother and more response.

DirtKar 06-22-2013 10:19 PM

Welcome to the forum and judging by your screen name, thank you for your service.
There are scores of theads about e-fans here, a search will produce so much info you'll be sorry you started looking. :laugh: Here's a decent starting point.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...cheap-1325896/

usmc0331 06-23-2013 08:29 AM

Thanks dirkar. I still have no idea what i need and how to do. The link was great. but still very confused. I am going to post a pic of my fan i got and the wires that are coming out of the motor of it. Thanks again

DirtKar 06-23-2013 11:28 AM

Post up what you have and we'll try and help you. I used a Hayden 2 speed controller that I picked up thru my local parts store. It bypasses all of the junkyard parts gathering and supplies you with everything you will need to get your fan working for around $45. The kit has a push through the fins type of temp sensor which is unpopular with some folks but I have had no issues whatsoever with mine. Do a google search on Hayden fan controls and you will see some more options.

flcracker 06-23-2013 12:20 PM

I used the Volvo controller and it was all pretty much plug and play when used with the volvo fan and shroud....

From what I hear, the hard part to find is the inline temp switch housing from the Saab though....

95YamJam 06-23-2013 02:58 PM

I used a derale fan controller and 2 realys for mine. It's off a crown vic, 2 speed. i used the temp control for the low speed and have a switch for off and high. I can try to find my diagram and post it. Works great so far and no expensive relays. Just regular 30A NC-NO automotive relays.

TSEJEEPERS 06-23-2013 03:45 PM

Higher price option I used the hollister controller.
http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddet...?prod=MarkVIII
If you go this route do not bother with their temp sensors.
I used one of the ones in the previous post and this inline with my upper radiator hose, drilled and tapped to accept the sensor.
http://www.steigerperformance.com/

DirtKar 06-23-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flcracker (Post 15597324)
I used the Volvo controller and it was all pretty much plug and play when used with the volvo fan and shroud....

From what I hear, the hard part to find is the inline temp switch housing from the Saab though....

Yep, the inline temp switch housing is what led me to the Hayden controller. I have all of the other Volvo parts sitting in my parts box but could not find the housing.

jimbos76cj 06-23-2013 04:00 PM

Here's a list of what I have to set mine up. Taurus can, spal 185 on 165 off temp sender, 35 amp self resetting breaker and a 85amp constant duty solenoid.

8ga wire runs from the batt to the self resetting breaker then to on big lug on the solenoid. Another 8ga wire is connected to the stock can wire for high speed. The switch power for the solenoid comes from an ign hot 12 source. The relay ground then goes from the ground lug, my dash switch for on/off then out to the spal sender. When the motor heats up the sender grounds the circuit which turns the solenoid on and runs the fan. I decided not to go with a fancy pants high dollar controller. Coming from Florida it's not gonna bother me to run on high speed all the time.

DirtKar 06-23-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbos76cj (Post 15597967)
Here's a list of what I have to set mine up. Taurus can, spal 185 on 165 off temp sender, 35 amp self resetting breaker and a 85amp constant duty solenoid.

8ga wire runs from the batt to the self resetting breaker then to on big lug on the solenoid. Another 8ga wire is connected to the stock can wire for high speed. The switch power for the solenoid comes from an ign hot 12 source. The relay ground then goes from the ground lug, my dash switch for on/off then out to the spal sender. When the motor heats up the sender grounds the circuit which turns the solenoid on and runs the fan. I decided not to go with a fancy pants high dollar controller. Coming from Florida it's not gonna bother me to run on high speed all the time.

Where did you put the sending unit?

usmc0331 06-24-2013 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
alright folks...thanks for all the replys. i am posting a pic of the fan i got. it again is off a 94 taurus. it has 3 wires coming out of the motor housing as you can see in pic. a black, a blue and a black with orange stripe.

jimbos76cj 06-24-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtKar (Post 15598493)
Where did you put the sending unit?

Since I'm nuttered and not running any of that stupid emissions stuff I pulled one of the unused sensors from the side of my intake and placed it there.. I thought I had a pic but can seem to find it.

jimbos76cj 06-24-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmc0331 (Post 15600026)
alright folks...thanks for all the replys. i am posting a pic of the fan i got. it again is off a 94 taurus. it has 3 wires coming out of the motor housing as you can see in pic. a black, a blue and a black with orange stripe.

I've never been able to find a answer for what wire does what. Hook the black wire to a ground, and power each of the other wires one at a time.. Should be able to ell the difference between high and low.

jimbos76cj 06-24-2013 07:15 AM

Here's my write up from another site.

After much tech talk with several people I decided to go with using a 85 amp constant duty solenoid to run my fan. Heres how its gonna go.

8 ga wire direct from the battery to a 30 amp self resetting breaker.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...ps306c9bef.jpg

then to the solenoid
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...psa7e8f524.jpg

Which I have mounted here

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...ps9f28f62a.jpg

I get my power for the the switch side of the solenoid from the "fan power" wire from the new wiring harness. To switch the fan on I picked up a spal 185 on 165 off temp switch
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...ps5f15f5a7.jpg

The ground wire will go through the fire wall to my switch so I will be able to turn it off if need be. all I have left to do now is install fan and decide if I want to use 8 or 10 ga wire to go from the solenoid to the fan. I was planning on using 8 but I think the fan is wired with 10

jimbos76cj 06-24-2013 07:23 AM

That solenoid is spst.. So it will only run one speed. The do sell em as dpdt also which will allow you to run high or low speed. As for the self resetting breaker I may take it up to a 40 or 50 amp I'd needed. I also like this set up because if there's a failure of either the breaker or the solenoid I can easily move the wire that goes from the breaker to the solenoid from the lugs its on now to the oposite set of lugs so my fan turn on so I won't be stock on the side of the road.


The time now is 04:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.