EGR Elimination - Redneck Hot Rodding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > EGR Elimination - Redneck Hot Rodding

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
GA05SPORT
1989 MJ Comanche 

EGR Elimination - Redneck Hot Rodding

So I'm curious... Since I've already removed 90% of the emission crap AND I about to replace the Carter carb with either Motorcraft 2100 or Weber...

SHOULD I keep going forth and just remove all the sensors, EGR and EGR hard pipe and while I'm at it the O2 bung and basically create a factory Redneck performance intake and exhaust?

I'm sending the used obtained factory exhaust to be blasted clean, new SS studs and removal of the O2 and air heater shield before coating with exhaust manifold paint from Quad...

One of my Jeep friends at work ( 90 Cherokee ) could not believe the room in the engine compartment after this weekends emissions Elimination project.

GA05SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i had it disconnected on my weber 34 running yj and never noticed any difference when i hooked it back up. i have to remove all the other lines still though, the little one from the cat area. its plugged but still hanging on.

that egr valve didn;t seem to do anything for me though so its your call
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A properly functioning EGR will cost you precisely 0 HP/TQ.
When you are at wot your EGR is disabled. When you are at part throttle up to 10% of the intake charge is exhaust gas, this has the effect of cooling the burn thus reducing NOX and increases gas milage because some of the intake charge is inert gas taking up space that fuel would have. You do not notice the reduction in cruise power because you are not using much power anyway. When you floor it the EGR is disabled and you are back to having full power instantly.
So your redneck performance intake and exhaust gives you no performance gain at all.
However the choice is yours.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
GA05SPORT
1989 MJ Comanche 

superj - thanks

4.7 - a couple of my prior automotive lives has given me the impression that while "double burning" some exhaust gas might help things ( mileage/emissions ) however slightly when one has to de-carbon the EGR are and what it's connected to there might be a negative impact. I'm more about eliminating thing which can cause problems than me just being an idiot with not cares about the environment/emissions. In other words I draw the line on these things that can negatively impact me/my ride.
GA05SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.