Effects of a shackle lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Effects of a shackle lift

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-18-2001, 12:40 AM   #1
afaletto
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Effects of a shackle lift

I am interested on putting a 1.25 - 1.5 inch shackle lift on my 94 yj. It is completely stock right now, and i just want to clear 31's. Will a shackle lift by itself cause any different suspension feeling, as in increased body roll? Are there any major downsides to a shackle lift? Thanks for any feedback.

afaletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2001, 03:35 AM   #2
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You probably won't be able to tell a difference. I used 2" shackles to clear 31's. My only problem was that my spring were old and sagging. I don't know if that is what caused one to bend or not. Even with wornout springs I still had about a 1" all the way around the rear fender flare.
Unread 10-18-2001, 12:59 PM   #3
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Im running 31's now with no lift with no rubbing
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2001, 01:53 PM   #4
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I couldn't cuz my spring were sagging so much. 31's on the front would have been ok, but the rears would have rubbed.
Unread 10-19-2001, 01:15 PM   #5
AJ

I bought a '94 w/31's on it and some severely sagging springs. All my fender flares had cool 1/2 moons in them from the rubbing. My 2 cents would be to do a 3 - 4" lift, it looks GREAT w/31's and I'm getting ready to go to 33's. I was on a severe budget so I went with Rough Country's lift. About $400 shipped, and it came with everthying I needed. I didn't have to buy a bolt seperately. I might add a 1 - 2" shackle after I get the new tires and gears, depends on if I need the extra inch or not.
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2001, 08:20 PM   #6
bob91yj

Shackle lifts seem to be pretty popular here, which kind of surprises me. Generally they are not a desireable way to lift a Jeep, but they are cheap.
A buddy of mine had a shackle lift on his Jeep, it served the function of allowing him to clear 31" tires on tired stock springs but that was about it. The front ones hit every rock on the trail, and the rears severely limited his departure angle.
One thing to remember is with a 2" longer shackle you only gain 1" of lift. They can also affect your driveline angles, and possibly cause vibrations, and premature U-joint wear/failure.
I would reccommend saving the money spent on the shackles and get a mild spring lift. Two inch spring lift can be installed without really having to change anything else, except maybe shocks and extending brakelines. Brakelines can also be extended by moving the hard line from the top of the frame to the underside of the frame, and using the rear bolt on the bumpstop as a mounting bolt. Extreme care must be used if you move the hardlines, if you kink the lines you're screwed and have to replace them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.