ECM Removal??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ECM Removal???

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
dennisonwj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, I think I am sold on the HEI system. Many have said DUI over CRT and vice versa. Could anyone please elaborate on why DUI over CRT considering it is over 120$ more per distributor?

dennisonwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #17
dennisonwj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am sold on the HEI after your comments and research, thanks for all the inputs. Here are some questions.
1) Many say DUI, but CRT has seemingly the same performance parts for 100$ cheaper. Opinions please?
2) I know the plug wires need to be swapped for HEI wires.
3) Can I run the stock plugs, or do I need something else?
4) What vacuum hoses and electrical wires can I remove after it is installed?
Unread 02-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #18
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisonwj View Post
I am sold on the HEI after your comments and research, thanks for all the inputs. Here are some questions.
1) Many say DUI, but CRT has seemingly the same performance parts for 100$ cheaper. Opinions please?
2) I know the plug wires need to be swapped for HEI wires.
3) Can I run the stock plugs, or do I need something else?
4) What vacuum hoses and electrical wires can I remove after it is installed?
DUI is an HEI (GM High Energy Ignition) distributor. They provide the physical system as well, available calibrated for non ECM and reputed to be better than the Chinese knockoffs.

Here is a comparison of a DUI vs original GM HEI on a Chevy

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-st...butor-install/

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #19
dennisonwj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
DUI is an HEI (GM High Energy Ignition) distributor. They provide the physical system as well, available calibrated for non ECM and reputed to be better than the Chinese knockoffs.

Here is a comparison of a DUI vs original GM HEI on a Chevy

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-st...butor-install/
After research, I am with you om the HEI. Several members have mentioned that the CRT HEI distributors (http://www.crtperformance.com/html/jeep_hei_s.html) are at least comparable to the DUI line (http://performancedistributors.com/p...i-distributor/). Thy are both HEI, but the CRT is MUCH less expensive. DUI vs. CRT?
Unread 02-23-2014, 04:57 AM   #20
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't run a DUI distributor so I can't really say first hand if its much better than the CRT. from researching both there are some differences. DUI runs their own custom module with longer dwell time, CRT runs a stock G.M. module, you can buy the dui module from summit for 50.00. the vacuum advance is non adjustable on the DUI, you give them your motor specs and they set it for you. the CRT is adjustable and should work ok out of the box but needs to be adjusted for peak performance. they both claim a 50.000 volt coil. both appear to be well built and should work fine for many years, I and others have run the CRT dizzy for over 5 years with 0 problems.
personally I'm happy with my CRT distributor but I'll probably buy the DUI module just to have it on hand when mine finally goes bad.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 05:11 AM   #21
Tarpo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty
It is a CRT. Works great, really woke up the engine. No problems after about 5 years. I have not personally ever talked to anyone who ever had an issue with hardened gears. Other than guys claiming they know a guy whose friend had a bad experience I think it's a non issue. Pretty much all the wires can go away and 90% of the hoses.
My 88 4.2 had the cam shaft gear stripped by the CRT hardened gear. It took years to happen, but it left me stranded.... When I did an engine swap I used the same CRT, I just used the pulled the hardened gear off and used a NoN hardened gear from a factory distributor (modified it in the lathe to fit the CRT)
Unread 04-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #22
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is it possible to just buy a DUI without hardened gears? I concede hardened gears may not hurt the cam gears, but why risk it.
Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #23
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

To answer my own q, on summits site - it drops all amc dizzying if you select iron gears
Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.