The ebay Motorcraft 2150 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-02-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Rproject
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 2,759
The ebay Motorcraft 2150

OK guys, let's here it. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on that ebay Motorcraft 2150 that comes "pre tuned" with the adapter plate, etc. Those of us with carbs know the one I'm talking about.

So let's here it - good, bad, ugly, indifferent? I don't expect it to be perfectly tuned, but how is it to install? Are the instructions clear? Is the guy helpful? Is it a flaming bag of fecal matter on my doorstep at 2:00 in the morning?


1996 White ZJ
1987 Maroon YJ (sideways build)
1996 Forest Green XJ

The "sideways" build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rproject is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 04-02-2013, 04:44 PM
rykemc
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: lubbock
Posts: 579
Installed one on my 88 and had no problems with it at all. Also installed one on my dad's 81 CJ and had the same experience. Can't say anything bad about the guy or his product.
rykemc is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 AM
kgb_m3
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,033
Get it, make sure to nutter it and get the ignition upgraded. You'll definitely gain some nice power and the jeep will run like a dream. Take your time, his instructions suck, his tune sucks, but the carb is good. Tune it yourself and enjoy.

89 YJ 4.2L
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
96 XJ 4.0L
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
http://www.jeepsunclassified.com
kgb_m3 is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 AM
BigDub
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mobile
Posts: 12
Buy it!

Just got one. The kit was complete and I thought the instructions were pretty easy to understand, he just gives you a basic guideline because your individual Jeep setup may be different from someone else's. Just mount it per instructions and the rest will make sense once you look at it.

Nutter is good, but if you have the means, I strongly suggest a CDI box (MSD). Summit Racing frequently has their brand on sale, and it seems to work just as well.
BigDub is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Rproject
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 2,759
Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger this morning. Also getting the airbox kit and electric choke option. I'm going to ATTEMPT this on my own. If I get into trouble, I've got a couple guys that can come bail me out. Hoping I can do this solo. It'll be the most technical project I've undertaken under the hood.

1996 White ZJ
1987 Maroon YJ (sideways build)
1996 Forest Green XJ

The "sideways" build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rproject is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Jax89Jeeper
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3
Take your time, his instructions suck, his tune sucks, but the carb is good. Tune it yourself and enjoy.
Agreed.... I have helped a dozen or so of his customers get things setup right when he stops helping. I got my new carb from him a year or so ago.... To get things running right I had to swap both the main jets and the powervalve-- this is all the tuning he can do for you and it was not even close... And I live at sea level, meaning a base tune is not difficult to figure out. I contacted him to get the correct jets and PV and he was no help at all, sending only a set of jets and would not respond about the PV and finally stopped responding at all. Read all the tutorials you can find on the MC2100/2150 tuning and know what effect each change will have. The MC is the easiest carb to tune, but with out the proper jets and PV, turning the screws will not get you dialed in and you'll have serious drivability issues. I had some experience with carbs before buying the MC from the ebay guy, but if I had not, I would have been completely lost and he would have been no help at all.... He sells good quality carbs, but the claim of a tuned carb is far from the truth, and his customer service sucks big time. If you have any issues, I am always happy to help.
Jax89Jeeper is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Rproject
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 2,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax89Jeeper View Post

Agreed.... I have helped a dozen or so of his customers get things setup right when he stops helping. I got my new carb from him a year or so ago.... To get things running right I had to swap both the main jets and the powervalve-- this is all the tuning he can do for you and it was not even close... And I live at sea level, meaning a base tune is not difficult to figure out. I contacted him to get the correct jets and PV and he was no help at all, sending only a set of jets and would not respond about the PV and finally stopped responding at all. Read all the tutorials you can find on the MC2100/2150 tuning and know what effect each change will have. The MC is the easiest carb to tune, but with out the proper jets and PV, turning the screws will not get you dialed in and you'll have serious drivability issues. I had some experience with carbs before buying the MC from the ebay guy, but if I had not, I would have been completely lost and he would have been no help at all.... He sells good quality carbs, but the claim of a tuned carb is far from the truth, and his customer service sucks big time. If you have any issues, I am always happy to help.
So what's the problem with the jets and power valve?

1996 White ZJ
1987 Maroon YJ (sideways build)
1996 Forest Green XJ

The "sideways" build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rproject is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Jax89Jeeper
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject

So what's the problem with the jets and power valve?
They were the wrong size for a proper tune.
Jax89Jeeper is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Rproject
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 2,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax89Jeeper View Post
They were the wrong size for a proper tune.
It says he's sending it with 1.08 venturis. I know there are different sizes for different applications, but I have no idea what the benefits are of one size over another. School me?

1996 White ZJ
1987 Maroon YJ (sideways build)
1996 Forest Green XJ

The "sideways" build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rproject is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Jax89Jeeper
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject

It says he's sending it with 1.08 venturis. I know there are different sizes for different applications, but I have no idea what the benefits are of one size over another. School me?
The venturi and the jets are two completely different things.... The 1.08 venturi is the correct size for the 4.2. In simple terms, the jets are what meter the fuel coming in to the air stream and the venturi is what meters the amount of air that is able to flow thru (CFMs). The venturi size cannot be changed, where as the jets are a tunable part. The typical 4.2 install of the MC carb will use anywhere from #46 jets up to #52 depending on your location in relation to sealevel.
Jax89Jeeper is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Rproject
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 2,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax89Jeeper View Post

The venturi and the jets are two completely different things.... The 1.08 venturi is the correct size for the 4.2. In simple terms, the jets are what meter the fuel coming in to the air stream and the venturi is what meters the amount of air that is able to flow thru (CFMs). The venturi size cannot be changed, where as the jets are a tunable part. The typical 4.2 install of the MC carb will use anywhere from #46 jets up to #52 depending on your location in relation to sealevel.
OK, so which ones does he include? Oh, and I'm a few hundred feet above sea level.

1996 White ZJ
1987 Maroon YJ (sideways build)
1996 Forest Green XJ

The "sideways" build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rproject is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Jax89Jeeper
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 344
I cannot be certain which will be installed in yours..... I would guess he will have #50 jets and a 9.5 inHg Power valve. You won't know for sure what you need until you get it installed and idling properly. If these need changed, the cost is minimal and the parts are usually locally available just about anywhere. As I said, read some mc2100/2150 tuning tutorials online, KNOWLEDGE IS YOUR FRIEND.
Jax89Jeeper is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 04-03-2013, 06:02 PM
zlieberman
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eagan
Posts: 38
I purchased my 2150 from the ebay guy a few years ago and so far have been really happy with the carb. Like stated by others his customer service sucks after the initial purchase. He didn't even send the instructions with my shipment and I had to email back and forth with him a few times to get them. I didn't give him feedback until he sent them to me. The install was fairly easy and straight forward and it was tuned well, I didn't have to adjust it at all. This is on a jeep that doesn't see road use at all and I don't have to do inspections in my state. The carb runs smoothly at all angles and has never stalled like my old webber used too.
zlieberman is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Rproject
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 2,759
Got my carb in. Went to put it in today. Total install time was about 4 hours. Once I fixed a leaky fuel line, she fired right over. Minor idle adjustment and away I went. For such a technical job, it went smooth as silk!

1996 White ZJ
1987 Maroon YJ (sideways build)
1996 Forest Green XJ

The "sideways" build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rproject is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 AM
mudsweatNgearz
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tucson
Posts: 510
About a year ago I bought one from mr ebay guy and bolted it on, hit the starter and she fired right up and purred like a kitten...brought a big smile to my face. I only had to adjust the idle a tiny bit. Been perfect ever since! Big power increase and the botton end torque is insane. Where most motors would stall out or cough and sputter the ol 258 pulls like a tractor from 600 rpms with this carb. I am sure my HEI has alot to do with that also.

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger and bigger....then it hit me!
mudsweatNgearz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome