Ebay HEI? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ebay HEI?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #16
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The only reason points are causing you problems is the simply fact. You need to adjust the dwell properly. It's not adjusting the gap but the fine tuning. You can help them with a msd box to get a better spark. The only reason most went with electronic ignitions where to get away from point bounce on high revving engines. Besides that you can usually fix a set of points with just a piece of emery cloth or file to get you off the trail or back home. They are a little more maintenance. But if you replace them once or twice a year they will run forever.

Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado8788 View Post
Why? Well, I'm looking for a "drop in" solution. The GM HEI setup looks to be the simplest way to upgrade the ignition.

One more question; how much of an improvement can I expect to see over the old points and condenser setup that's on it now? Will I notice it while driving?
You have points in there now? If so, must be a CJ engine or setup.
Unread 04-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #18
Dado99TJ

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
The only reason points are causing you problems is the simply fact. You need to adjust the dwell properly. It's not adjusting the gap but the fine tuning. You can help them with a msd box to get a better spark. The only reason most went with electronic ignitions where to get away from point bounce on high revving engines. Besides that you can usually fix a set of points with just a piece of emery cloth or file to get you off the trail or back home. They are a little more maintenance. But if you replace them once or twice a year they will run forever.
The points aren't giving me a problem; they actually work quite well. That's why I wondered if I'd even see a difference by going to a different setup. I thought if I could do it inexpensively I'd give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabamaranger View Post
You have points in there now? If so, must be a CJ engine or setup.
No, AFAIK, its the original engine. The PO had trouble with the ICM and replaced the whole setup with a dizzy for an old CJ engine. Really, the only problem I have with it is that the tach isn't hooked up.

Nightcrew member #331

Blue Jeep Club member #332
Dado99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #19
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh the tach is an easy fix. That is attached to the coil anyway and is connected to the same side has the dizzy wire giong to the tach You should find a dark green wire in the wiring harness coming from the firewall connector. If not you can run one from the coil to the back of the tach.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #20
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If the PO gutted all of the wiring and DS box. I would go with the HEI system. Much better that the points.

If the wiring is still there, do the nutter and use the stock DS box with the TFI conversion..
Unread 04-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #21
Dislsmoke
1985 CJ7 

I didn't see anyone mention DUI ignition systems. They make a quality unit. I'm running one in my AMC360 works really good and a good quality. They are a little more but it is worth it.

Custom Dashs built to your specs dbldfab@gmail.com
website. http://sites.google.com/site/doubledfab/
Dislsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.