Ebay Electric Fans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ebay Electric Fans

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
tc90xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ebay Electric Fans

Found what looks to be like a nice aftermarket setup for electric fans for my 91 YJ.

Heres the ebay link:

PROCOMP DUAL 8" INCH ELECTRIC FAN & THERMOSTAT KIT 39 : eBay Motors (item 330416912658 end time Apr-22-10 05:27:57 PDT)

I have two important questions:

1. First off, is 1000 cfm as stated going to be plenty enough pull to cool off my engine reasonably?

2. I have a OE setting thermostat (Believe it to be 195 degrees opening). The wiring kit included with this fan setup is set to kick in at 180 degrees and shuts off 10 degrees later at 170. Is this going to co-incide nicely with my setup. (for example, letting my engine reach the proper temp without the fan running all the time)

FYI... I plan on making a pipe fitting that splices into the upper radiator hose that I can thread the water sensor into. I dont feel comfortable drilling and tapping my block.

Let me know what you think. Any advice is appreciated and much welcomed.

tc90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
tc90xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Bump...

Nobody at all?
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

have you looked at flex-a-lite i think its the same price and they have one designed for the jeep i think.
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would just use a Taurus fan my friend. I did and couldn't be happier.

To tell you the truth, I don't use the fan 90% of the time. It's just not needed. I run a 195 degree thermostat and while moving my YJ never gets above 160 degrees. The only time that I use the fan is while off road because I'm crawling at low speeds thus causing heat to build up, especially during the summers here in Florida. It is also nice to be able to turn the fan on and off with the flick of a switch, VERY nice for when you cross deep waters.

Keep in mind I said switch, and that's all that I have it wired to basically. I wired it into the fuel pump line so that it can't be left on when the key is in the "OFF" position, other than that it's just wired to a toggle switch in the cab, no thermostat regulating it at all. It's wired to the fuel pump so that I don't murder my battery by forgetting to turn the fan off

The Taurus fan is a beast even on it's low setting. I never even wired up the "High" setting. It has never been needed. Even on low it will make my temp needle drop like a limp ****.

It's perfect for when you need to cross water like this.

And look at all this space it gives us with the 2.5L ! I can stand on the front axle when I work on the engine now! (Also not how perfect it fits over our radiators. I bent some galvanized sheet metal 90degrees and used a few self tapping sheet metal screws to hold it to the radiator, been holding strong for 9 months now!)

The fan had cost me $30 at the junkyard and I spent maybe another $15 on a relay, wiring, and fuse.

I'm not trying to convince you to go the Taurus route, I just wanted to share my good experiences with it.

Good luck!

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
littlejohn411
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thats a great deal for that setup in my opinion,I have a new derale adjustable controller and new taurus fan ready to go in and paid about $150 for the setup.
It also looks like an easy install with those zip fasteners and comes with the better temp. sensor,not that crappy probe that you stick in your rad.....

After reading the listing better I see those fans are rated at 1000 cfm "total" both fans,I thought it was 1000 each,I'm not sure thats enough. I know the taurus fan has an insane amount of cfm.
I'm sure someone will chime in with better knowledge about what's required for your engine.

Last edited by littlejohn411; 04-01-2010 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: More info.
littlejohn411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
MWguy101
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys I am a little confused on the whole electric fan issues. Is that better then a stock fan? Is a taurus fan from a ford taurus or is that the brand name? What CFM should I get for a 4 banger? Are they a pain to wire up?
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWguy101 View Post
Hey guys I am a little confused on the whole electric fan issues. Is that better then a stock fan? Is a taurus fan from a ford taurus or is that the brand name? What CFM should I get for a 4 banger? Are they a pain to wire up?
-Better than stock pending on the fan, and you engine doesn't have to turn a fan while idling.

-The Taurus fan is from a 3.8L Ford Taurus, years 1990-1995. It's a 3 wire fan. (Two speeds one ground)

-The Taurus fan is used on some 1/4 mile cars to cool down between runs, and those are big block V8s. It is way more than enough for the 2.5L or even the hot tempered 4.0L on low setting.

-The fan is advertised as having 2500 CFM on low speed and 4500 CFM on high. This baby sucks in small animals and children on high!

Hope that clears stuff up!

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
littlejohn411
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think the CFM will be an issue with that setup after reading into it.
Here's the taurus fan..

1995 95 Ford Taurus Radiator Fan Assembly NEW : eBay Motors (item 110513745839 end time Apr-02-10 08:56:41 PDT)

And a good adjustable fan controller...

DERALE ADJUSTABLE ELECTRIC FAN THERMOSTAT SWITCH RELAY : eBay Motors (item 290416998535 end time Apr-21-10 10:46:41 PDT)

The fan is very easy to install,take a look at the pic in Yjakes post,very little modding is needed and the instructions for the fan relay are pretty good.
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
tc90xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like I'll be going to my local junkyard tomorrow and trying to find a 3.8taurus fan. And a vendor in town that has a good adjustable fan controller kit. I dont want to wait on shipping if I already have the fan.
Unread 04-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
MWguy101
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys I was at the upull lot today and could not find a 3.8L v6 fan. But what I was able to find was a 3.0L V6 fan. It only has 2 wires coming off the fan, not 3. Do you think that will work as well as a 3.8L or did I just waste my money?
Unread 04-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
MWguy101
1995 YJ Wrangler 

They did have a 3.8L V6 dual fan from a 95 ford van, i think it was a windstar. Should I have gotten that one instead?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.