ebay 2100 MC carbs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ebay 2100 MC carbs

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
1989 Islander

ebay 2100 MC carbs

I wound up trading with the ebay man, Michael Ehrmann, on a 2100 carb. I have had several problems. Not blaming him at all, but the last few questions he has been 1) real slow to answer and 2) not answering at all.

I will get my Jeep working no matter what, it that means getting a Webber or Holley.

Has anybody else had a communication problem??

Just keep in mind I am not throwing stones, up to the last email or two I was getting a reply. I don't have an issue with him we didn't have words or anything like that I just have not gotten replies.

I will procead on my own and try to get it working best I can.

My main problem is "flooding" I have searched this forum and found lots of good info, plan on trying different stuff later this week. When I finally get it I will know more than I expected about 2100 MC CARBS !!!

Unread 04-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
WMiller13
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I dont know. I have also bought this kit and have had no problems thus far, knock on wood. I was having choke problems, then i realized an arm was broke. I emailed him for the part number he responded quickly. I dont know what to tell ya. Good luck hope it works out for ya.

waiting: 1" daystar BL and skid row engine skid.
WMiller13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
jeepinryan
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had pretty much the same problem with him. I actually live in the same city as he does, and I had him check over my carb after I got it installed. It ran okay for a while, but I ended up taking my Jeep to Avenger 4WD (they make the well-known Jeep superchargers) to replace my exhaust manifold gasket. After they got that taken care of, the Jeep still was running really bad. It turns out the carb had vacuum leaks all over and was jetted WAY too big, even after being rebuilt by Mike Ehrmann.

I attempted emailing him a couple times for help, and the shop even tried calling him. He just didn't respond at all. I got the impression that he doesn't mind helping on the easy things, but as soon as something seems to be going wrong he just stops talking.

I got a Holley 350 CFM from another local guy and it's been great so far. It still runs a little bit rich, but hey, it's a carb :-)

Good luck with your carb woes...I know how they are.

~Ryan
Unread 04-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
1989 Islander

I can't say about a vacume leak. I have sprayed WD-40 all around it and it didn't seem to change the idle.

I have good manifold vacume 15 idle and 22 at higher RPM,s. I am going to pull it off and check all the things I possibly can, power vavle, jetts, bowl level and stopper in bowl. Mine is blowing black unburent fuel out the tail pipe like crazy. You can't crank it after it sits for a minute because it is so flooded.

I am also thinking about a fuel regulator, nothing like more $$ at a problem.

I am not mad just a little disappointed. Wish I had went a different route.
Unread 04-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
damian H
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The one that I got from the guy on ebay is sitting in my tool shed,I never could get it to run right.
damian H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
1989 Islander

Quote:
The one that I got from the guy on ebay is sitting in my tool shed,I never could get it to run right.

Quote:
I will procead on my own and try to get it working best I can.

Quote:
I attempted emailing him a couple times for help, and the shop even tried calling him. He just didn't respond at all. I got the impression that he doesn't mind helping on the easy things, but as soon as something seems to be going wrong he just stops talking.
I started looking at Holleys and Webbers earlier this pm.
Unread 04-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
1989 Islander

I post this to help others.

The carb I received from ebay man was missing the ID tag. You can not just call up and get a parts kit without that number. You can get close, as in guessing, but you cannot get the exact carb kit designed for it. I have called and checked three places and all three don't want to be held responsible if I get the wrong kit.

I am going to remove the carb this evening and see if there is something I can fix. Next step is to fix if possible and then trash it and go another route.

My warning is: IF YOU GO WITH A MC 2100, go get exactally what you want from a junk yard and get it rebuilt by someone you can go and talk to face to face.
Unread 04-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
leebo1082
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Take the top plate off the carb (won't have to take it of the Jeep for this) and check the needle/seat. Sounds like it isn't seated properly. While your that far in, check your jet sizes, so you'll know what your working with. I rebuilt mine myself. There's not really but so many things that can be your problem, if the carb casting is in good shape. Good luck.
leebo1082 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you can figure out what is going on, you will love that MC.
I finally got my Holley straight and won't trade it for anything.

Too much fuel can be a couple of things. Bad float adjustment, too large jets, bad misture adjustment. A vaccum leak can contribute but not to the extent to what you are describing. With your vaccum readings lower at idle than higher RPMs, you may have valve/carbon buildup issues (also depending on mileage). A FPR may help, but if you have the 3 port fuel filter, that shouldn't be a problem.

If you have that stupid looking universal adapter with the bolt slots in it, you need to junk it and get a proper one made for your application. It is leaking vaccum and not helping. That may be a contributing factor to your strange vaccum reading.

A lot of those carb kits are built for a variety of applications. Pick one for an old 302 Ford V8 pickup and you will probably get a usable kit.

HTH

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #10
1989 Islander

I would not doubt that the adapter plate could be improved but where would you get the exact Jeep to Ford adapter ?????? I do have the universal Mr. Gasket type.

I have a new fuel filter, 3 port variety, and the over flow tube is not stoped up, checked it this pm.

I have checked the bowl whil running and it looked to be about 50 to 60% full.

I pulled the carb this pm and the float stopper looks perfect. I did bend the float to stop a little quicker.

The jets were a mystery, one is a 48 and one a 49.

What size should I go with?????

Yall help me with:
1. Place to get the perfect adapter plate.
2. Proper size jets.
3. Where to get jets, local Ford place can't help.
4. Should I put a Fuel Pressure Regulator if the bowl is not full?
Unread 04-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #11
philly5eagle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a carb from the same guy and haven't had major problems. Have emailed him a few times and he responded rather quickly. I assume he is like everyone else that sometimes he may just not get back to all the emails right away.
I put it on and haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with it yet. It started right up and only thing I had to do was make sure to reset the timing. I still have to figure out the proper sequence to set idle, mixture , and timing. I have had plenty of other problems with other things that i am fixing first.
Make sure you let it warm up to operating temp, then at idle, set the timing to about 10* and see how it runs. At first I had tried to set the timing to factory specs at 1600 rpms etc and had similar symtoms as you. Not saying you may have not tried that but I didn't see it in your post. Hope it helps. Keep us posted. As I play with it some more I will try to help.
philly5eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #12
1989 Islander

philly5eagle

I appreciate your post but he emailed me too till it go to a complicated problem.

Like I said this ain't really about him, its about how I am to fix my set up now.

Hell I got a carb with different jets in it. Nothing else jumps out at me right now but I'm looking. It smokes like crazy, flooding, and I want to get it running good for summer.

I will add that finding jets, generic rebuild kits, and misc parts for old carbs ain't as easy as finding 4" lift kits or chrome door hinges.
Unread 04-11-2007, 05:46 AM   #13
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I might be able to help with questions 2 and 3
2.I have found # 47s to be about perfect for my application,
3.Ebay a guy named swapsupply. That is where I got mine. I went ahead and ordered a couple diff. sizes so I could play around. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...spagenameZWD1V

4. I don't really know. I have been a ford guy my whole life and have had/worked on several cars/trucks with the motorcraft carb and have never had a need for a regulator. If the bowl is not full then I woulb probably scratch that off your list.

You say you can not start it after it sits for a few minutes?? Have you checked the choke? Is it closing on you?

I know on my motorcraft it is VERY touchy some times with flooding. More so when it is sort of warm but cold enough that the choke closes. It seems if I so much as tap the gas before I start it it squirts enough fuel that it floods.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.

Last edited by yellow2kgt; 04-11-2007 at 08:35 AM..
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #14
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, that plate is causing you problems. If it's not, I would be amazed.
To me, that plate is a waste of $$.

Bending the float tab: Ok, by your descripion it sounds like you dropped the float. It may help, but unless you know what the proper setting is supposed to be, you are just guessing. Hopefully someone will chime in and let you know.

Oh, w/r/t the float - it is brass right? If it's black plastic looking matl you need to replace it with a brass one. The black ones soak up gas over time and sink. This can cause (or add to) the problems you are having.

In order...
1 - I had mine made custom made. This particular shop specializes in racing motors and they like to pay attention to detail. It cost a fair amount of $$, but it was worth it to me. They used 5/8" thick alum plate and beveld the internal throats to match the Holley and then to the fcty intake. I gotta get a pic. It's beautiful.

If you have the ability to let them hold the carb and intake, any good machine shop should be able to make one.

2 - Honestly, don't have a clue. My Holley is using 58's. I'm sure the MC's are different. You already have one suggestion. Hopefully more will chime in.

3 - Figures. Try the place mentioned above. By chance do they look like Holley jets?

4 - Don't see the need. The bowl should not be full...that I am aware of.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #15
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I edited my first response It should have been 47s not 27s on the jet size..
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.