Eastwood Internal Frame Coating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Eastwood Internal Frame Coating

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Eastwood Internal Frame Coating

My jeep was from Southern Idaho and was 99.9% rust free when I got it and I'd like to keep it that way. It literally had bare shiny unrusted metal in places where the paint had come off the frame when I got it.

Its been in St. Louis 3 winters now. Lots of surface rust was starting underneath.

I've painted everything underneath with Rustoleum Rust encapsulator before last winter, touched it up this spring, and put herculiner on the inside the first year I had it. That seems to be doing a good job.

I can shine a light inside the holes in the frame and see it starting to rust (when I got it, there wasn't anything like that in there). I'd like to do something inside the frame too so it doesn't rust from the inside.

Searching around, the Eastwood Internal Frame Coating seems to be the best stuff (aside from the cost).

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html

Is there something cheaper that is really basically the same stuff?

How many cans did it take to do the inside of the whole frame?

What kind of prep did you do?

dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

I read a thread on here somewhere where the guy soaked a rag or something in a rust converter (the one from Monstaliner I think) and pulled it through the frame with some sort of rope or something. Not sure how easy that would be with the body still on the frame though
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

When I did my frame I used just under two cans, I think it worked good although the Jeep as not been outside since I did it in November. I think I only drilled one small hole on the drivers side frame rail so I could get the tube inside to get that part. I think it should work fine. good luck.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My brother in law restores classic cars for a living and he swears by Eastwood products. He purchased me 2 quarts of the Eastwood rust encapsulator for my tub because the floor pans have surface rust on them. As far as cost goes, it may be expensive, but it works. He uses it on 60k restores......
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, just ordered 2 cans. . .
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
yotefever
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I used them last year on my frame and seems to be holding up well.
Time will tell
I also used two cans and I taped up holes I didn't need to spray into so
I didn't get paint all over the place.
Just look at the video they have on their website.
yotefever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Frame rust , rust prevention , rust proofing

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.