post #1 of Old 02-06-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
silleYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

e-fan hookup question

I am hooking up a electric fan on my 88YJ 2.5L DD. Is there a hot wire under the hood anywhere that is only hot while my key is on? Or am I going to have to drill and run through the firewall? If I have to drill though my firewall I may just hook up a manual switch just in case I ever do go through deep water.

1988 YJ Wrangler 2.5L for fun
2014 WK Grand Cherokee for dependability
post #2 of Old 02-06-2016, 08:38 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

most e fans draw a fair amount of power so you will almost certainly need a relay, heavier wire, some sort of switch and normally a temp sensor so it only comes on when needed.

Are you having cooling problems now?

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
post #3 of Old 02-06-2016, 11:40 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What jbolty said...

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #4 of Old 02-07-2016, 12:07 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know the differences between a '88, and a '94. But on mine, I'm pretty sure that there is in the PCM. Its been about 10 years since I installed mine. Here's a schematic that might help you with the wiring:

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #5 of Old 02-07-2016, 03:48 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

There's a lot of good info in this thread.... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...cheap-1325896/

It's for a Taurus fan, but you can still use the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #6 of Old 02-07-2016, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
silleYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
most e fans draw a fair amount of power so you will almost certainly need a relay, heavier wire, some sort of switch and normally a temp sensor so it only comes on when needed.

Are you having cooling problems now?
No cooling problems. I just scored a flex a lite black magic 180 e-fan and complete kit from a hot rodder that never got around to installing it in his car. It is a 15" fan that moves 3,300cfm. Paid $100 for it and they are normally $329. So I figured what the heck, $100 for approx 5 more horsepower, I've done dumber things. But the kit comes with everything to install it, relay, temp sensor, 10ga wire, and in line fuse, etc...

post #7 of Old 02-07-2016, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
silleYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't believe this is a two stage fan but it does have an A/C hook up option so it may be a two stage fan. I just followed the directions that came with this fan and I am to the point where I need to hook it up to an "key on" hot wire. I wasn't going to go all fancy and have the two stage switch and all that, I was just going to hook it up to the temp sensor probe and control box to keep it simple. But like I said, if I have to go through the firewall anyway I might as well install a manual kill switch in case I ever do get into high water. I was hoping I wouldn't have to drill another hole through my firewall. It is hard to drill and the last one is full with radio and led lights wires.

post #8 of Old 02-07-2016, 07:26 AM
gsrsilv
1988 YJ Wrangler 

There is a key on hot wire under the hood. Sitting here at my computer I do not remember which one it is though and all my notes and papers are in the garage. If you have a Haynes or Chilton manual you should be able to tell from their wiring diagrams. I am also hooking up an electric fan as soon as I shorten the bolts that are in my water pump to pully.
post #9 of Old 02-07-2016, 07:30 AM
14Sport
JY YJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't had to find switched power under the hood yet on the YJ but what I usually do is check all the empty fuse slots first. Just check each one with a meter or test light with the key off. Then turn the key on and retest each one that didn't have power with the key off. You can then use a tap-a-fuse. You can also use a tap-a-fuse for an existing switched fuse as well.

1995 JY YJ
2014 JK, MC GCL 2.5", 35x12.5x17, 4.56s.

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.
post #10 of Old 02-07-2016, 07:46 AM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silleYJ View Post
No cooling problems....... It is a 15" fan that moves 3,300cfm..........Paid $100 for it and they are normally $329. So I figured what the heck, $100 for approx 5 more horsepower, I've done dumber things.
Your factory clutch fan is capable of much more.
The electric fan setup adds about 10 new points of failure.
The electric fan draws HP from the alternator. Not as much because it doesn't move as much air. The clutch fan doesn't draw much either when its not needed.
You may end up with insufficient cooling capacity when all is said and done.

I never advocate for an electric fan retrofit. There is not enough upside realistically, its mostly theoretical. The reliability factor alone is contra-indicated for the jeeps necessity for reliablity.

Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #11 of Old 02-07-2016, 08:08 AM
metalhead
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
Your factory clutch fan is capable of much more.
The electric fan setup adds about 10 new points of failure.
The electric fan draws HP from the alternator. Not as much because it doesn't move as much air. The clutch fan doesn't draw much either when its not needed.
You may end up with insufficient cooling capacity when all is said and done.

I never advocate for an electric fan retrofit. There is not enough upside realistically, its mostly theoretical. The reliability factor alone is contra-indicated for the jeeps necessity for reliablity.
So if electric fans are so unreliable why do all the auto manufacturers use them in all there cars? I have installed electric fans in several of my vehicles and never had an issue.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (no longer own)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
post #12 of Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
silleYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't really want to get into a e-fan vs clutch fan debate. I have read pages and pages of them. I am keeping my old shroud and clutch fan just in case. I have a power master 140 a alternator and I have reason to believe the e-fan can be beneficial to my little 4cyl 2.5 tbi. There isn't much us 2.5 tbi guys can do to net any hp. Just thought it was a good deal on an expensive fan and figured I would give it a shot. If it doesn't give me any hp and it still works then nothing is lost except my time and $100. And I will learn from experience. But if it does work and gives me the ability to keep the YJ at 45 mph going up hill instead of dropping to 40 mph I will call it money well spent and a victory.

post #13 of Old 02-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

In my previous post, I mistakenly said PCM, when I meant PDC. Here is the PDC in my '94. The little arrow is pointing to the starter relay. There should be a switched power going to that. IMHO

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #14 of Old 02-07-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
silleYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
In my previous post, I mistakenly said PCM, when I meant PDC. Here is the PDC in my '94. The little arrow is pointing to the starter relay. There should be a switched power going to that. IMHO
I appreciate it, but mine is a 88 TBI and I don't have anything that fancy to my knowledge. I hooked it up through the firewall this morning. I love it and it does feel more peppy. Hope it isn't just the placebo effect. Unfortunately I installed brown dog motor mounts with the poly bushings. My vibes at idle are so bad I almost can't sit in the jeep so I will not be able to truly test the e-fan out very much until I get those switched out.

post #15 of Old 02-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It would have been nice to have a before and after dyno run to have some real hp numbers. How about MPG? Do you have a few tanks worth of recent before numbers you can compare?

You got pics of your setup? How is the shroud coverage?

Another real world assessment of the poly motor mounts defeating their purpose. Thank you for the feedback on that.

Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"