Durango box alternatives. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Durango box alternatives.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 06-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Durango box alternatives.

Was going to swap out my leaking YJ box with an old SJ box ('79 Cherokee) i had under the bench, until i ran into the o-ring/flare problem.

Like the idea of swapping in a stronger box, but over here the junk yards/ Ebay aren't as full of late model SJ's (with o-ring boxes) and Durango's as you're used to.

What other vehicles are worth looking at for a stronger, bolt on, o-ring Saginaw box for a '91 YJ?

ukjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

IMHO, the Saginaw box is plenty strong. You could do a seal kit on your old one. I converted mine from manual steering, to power, with a box from an '86 XJ (Cherokee). It supposedly has a better turning radius than a Durango box. But anything you get from a junkyard, will probably need a seal kit anyway. Mine did.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

How much for a rebuilt Durango from an autoparts store? Not sure whats available to you $30-40 form a pick n pull and no idea or $150 (autozone over here) w a warranty. It was worth the extra$$ to me..

good luck
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
How much for a rebuilt Durango from an autoparts store? Not sure whats available to you $30-40 form a pick n pull and no idea or $150 (autozone over here) w a warranty. It was worth the extra$$ to me..

good luck
Durango's were never sold over here, so parts stores in the UK won't be carrying parts for them. For the same reason they're not too common at pick ur parts places in Britain either.
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
IMHO, the Saginaw box is plenty strong. You could do a seal kit on your old one. I converted mine from manual steering, to power, with a box from an '86 XJ (Cherokee). It supposedly has a better turning radius than a Durango box. But anything you get from a junkyard, will probably need a seal kit anyway. Mine did.
I've got the seal kit coming from a local supplier, but wanted to see if there was any other options.
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
This mine STOCK box started leaking just shy of 300,000 miles with 33x12.5 tires. They are solid boxes that can handle alot. They are a tried and true design. Unless your running huge tires just replace the seals and call it done.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
This mine STOCK box started leaking just shy of 300,000 miles with 33x12.5 tires. They are solid boxes that can handle alot. They are a tried and true design. Unless your running huge tires just replace the seals and call it done.
I'm on 33x10.5. Changed down from 12.5's recently as slightly skinner tyres do better in the mud here. IMO.
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukjeeper View Post
I'm on 33x10.5. Changed down from 12.5's recently as slightly skinner tyres do better in the mud here. IMO.
Yeah if it were me and it was a month ago. I would just do a seal kit. As Mr.B said these Saginaw boxes are actually pretty good stuff.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

What, didn't like the answers on pirate?
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #10
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
What, didn't like the answers on pirate?
Check the time stamps, troll. I posted here first.

Thought i'd ask in more than one place. You have a problem with that?

Thanks for the feedback (from everyone else anyway).
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Check the time stamps, troll. I posted here first.

Thought i'd ask in more than one place. You have a problem with that?

Thanks for the feedback (from everyone else anyway).
I will fill you in. Don is a guy you want on your side. He knows his chit. Granted you need a thick skin because he doesnt sugar coat anything and tells it like it is. Regaurdless he has a wealth of knowledge that he shares with us here.

Unread 06-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for filling me in. However, he chose not to impart any knowledge, just come across as a dick. Which i'd expect on PBB or even JU, but not here.

The sun may shine out of his mechanical ***, but until he proves different, i'll treat him with the respect he's earned.

Anyhoo, have picked up a replacement input seal for the stock box and am going with that for now.

Thanks again.
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #13
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for filling me in. However, he chose not to impart any knowledge, just come across as a dick. Which i'd expect on PBB or even JU, but not here.

The sun may shine out of his mechanical ***, but until he proves different, i'll treat him with the respect he's earned.

Anyhoo, have picked up a replacement input seal for the stock box and am going with that for now.

Thanks again.
I dont think you are going to last very long here.

Unread 06-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks again.
It is what it is. Some people just like to stir ish up for the sake of doing it. I agree with your comment. If someone wants to be a d*** thats fine. Doesnt hurt my feelings when someone webwheels and thinks they are cooler than you. Its just really f'n annoying. Good on ya for using multiple recources to obtain your goal. Id do the same thing. Sorry dont have any input on your OT, but good luck on getting an answer. Im curious to know other options myself.
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
I dont think you are going to last very long here.
<---- Apart from the 11 years I've already been on here, you mean?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.