Dual battery tray diy plan? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dual battery tray diy plan?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 12-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
72cj5er
1972 CJ5 

Dual battery tray diy plan?

I am wanting to go dual setup, but all I can find for a battery tray is like $180. am I missing something or is this normal to pay this much for a metal tray?? I looked at the pics and it doesnt look like anything out of the ordinary except for the width.

I am wondering if anyone has fabbed up thier own dual tray in thier YJ and has the specs on size. I can go out and measure I was just hoping somebody may already have and could share the idea. thx

04 LJ Unlimited Wrangler
never far from a good trail http://scott.arrington-family.us
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional!!
72cj5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
UCF YJ'r
1992 YJ Wrangler 

if or when you go with the dual battery setup are you going to run them parallel or in series??? or are you going to use one to soley power auxiliary lights / winch on it's own circuit? sorry to take your post off topic....

i would rather fab up my own than tray with some angle iron than pay 150.00
UCF YJ'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

get some 1x1 angle iron and a welder.... it'll be fun to make a new tray

keep your design so that you can easily access either battery just in case you have problems with one or the other.....
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
72cj5er
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF YJ'r
if or when you go with the dual battery setup are you going to run them parallel or in series??? or are you going to use one to soley power auxiliary lights / winch on it's own circuit? sorry to take your post off topic....

i would rather fab up my own than tray with some angle iron than pay 150.00

I am planinng on running one for lights/Winch, the other for the Jeep itself, planning on using an isolator to keep them charged. The design ive seen a pic of is where each battery sets 90 degrees from where it sits now and they are side by side, the hold down was a single piece that spanned across the center of both with 3 wingnuts as tiedowns. still it just looked like a stamped metal plate with angle irons to mount it up. If noone has one in a couple days, I will start my own plans.
04 LJ Unlimited Wrangler
never far from a good trail http://scott.arrington-family.us
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional!!
Unread 12-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

the mount you just described would be very easy to make.... 1x1 angle iron doesn't need to be realy heavy duty... just strong... and assuming you can weld halfway decent, that will be plenty strong with minor bracing/gussets
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

Unread 12-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
UCF YJ'r
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i would 2nd the diy plan.... but then again i do everything to my heep myself.

it seems simple enough to get some angle iron and build a tray the way YOU want it
UCF YJ'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
72cj5er
1972 CJ5 

you think 1x1? I was thinking 1/2in square with some 1" flat steel to all the outer edges for side supports with a few cross ties in between. I mean I could do the 1" but even I was thinking that could be overkill since I plan on bead welding it all together rather than stitch welding it in a few spot only anyways.

edit I see angle iron, I thought you meant 1" square tube as I was thinking tube myself
Unread 12-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

hehe, i think the 1" angle woudl be fine... it would all be boxed for strench and if you gussetted the corners or ran braces under it and on the sides it woudl be super strong without using really heavy duty steel. triangulation would be my method of strenth... and i would run a bead on every seam... cheap insurance... spot welds should only be temporary... remember to weld careful so you don't warp it...

Unread 12-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #9
72cj5er
1972 CJ5 

Cool, again if I dont see anything in a few, Ill start my plans, if I do Ill post em in the fab section
Thx
Unread 12-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

personally i like the vertical stack arrangement with both batteries on their sides. just seems like there's more dead space under the stock tray vs along side it. but if you can fab then it would definitely be cheaper to build your own. like anything else you pay more for the convienance to have someone else do the work and the thinking than for the materials

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #11
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

only problem with that style is accessig the lower battery in the event it needs to be replaced or serviced for whatever reason...

i prefer to keep my two 6 circuit fuse blocks in the space under the oem battery tray....

Unread 12-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #12
OhioYJ

Here's the post on my dual battery tray.
95 YJ: SOA, locked 44, locked 8.8, 37s, beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/aboutmel.html]My Build-Up Post[/URL] -- [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/kbl.html]SWB FAQ[/URL] -- Mike
OhioYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #13
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

nice write up... but what size materials did you use?

see any problems runnign without an isolator?

-Erik <--- is a firm believer that an isolator is a waste of money

Unread 12-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #14
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
only problem with that style is accessig the lower battery in the event it needs to be replaced or serviced for whatever reason...

i prefer to keep my two 6 circuit fuse blocks in the space under the oem battery tray....
so build the top tray so that it can be easily removed, kind of a drop in, slide and tighten deal with sloted holes. considering most batteries last for better than 5 years i can deal with an extra step or two to get the bottom one out, lol. i would think you would have more trouble getting to those fuses when one blows

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

you can still reach under the tray for fuses...... quite easily actually. i made my own inner fenders after welding up my blue torch fab tube fenders so that may create a bit of a difference but i think stock my innfer fenders around that area were basically the same....

i realize that batteries last long enough that this shoudln't be an issue but having both batteries easily accessible is quite nice and always convenient.... even if you never had to access your secondary battery, it woudl be nice to know that you could have if you had to, and it woudl be nice to know it woudl have been effortless....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.