Dual batteries on front bumper of 2.5l - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dual batteries on front bumper of 2.5l

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andPerformance tuning programmers @ oconee off road 706 534 9Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
heefageLA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dual batteries on front bumper of 2.5l

My dad wants to put two batteries on the front bumper of our 4cyl YJ...

He says that more weight on the very front of the rig will help keep the front end down; and i agree that it makes a little sense.

My opinion is that we should keep the yj light as possible and get a higher output alternator and keep the stock battery position.

Has anyone ever heard of putting batteries on their front bumper?
What are your opinions?

heefageLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I can't imagine putting any part of your electrical system on the front of your vehicle would be a good thing.

Although the dual battery system, I am interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
TA-YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do you mean out front of the radiator on the front bumper or just over the front axle? I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure a lot of states require things like batteries to be inside of the body. I wouldn't do it anyway because Id be afraid of something getting ripped off. I'd just say go with the higher output alternator and a good deep cycle battery if you want to run something like a winch.
Other:LED Tails and Herculined
TA-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heefageLA View Post
My dad wants to put two batteries on the front bumper of our 4cyl YJ...

He says that more weight on the very front of the rig will help keep the front end down; and i agree that it makes a little sense.

My opinion is that we should keep the yj light as possible and get a higher output alternator and keep the stock battery position.

Has anyone ever heard of putting batteries on their front bumper?
What are your opinions?
Ummmmm, no. Ask Dad to sit on the bumper instead.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Two batteries aren't going to make much of a difference in front end traction. The place you want to put more weight in a yj is in the rear. Plus it's never good to put any vital components where you will get the most damage....
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

No. Just no man.

Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

That's a horrible idea. I also never had a issue with the front lifting on my. 95

Install a bumper with a winch you'll have plenty of weight then.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
packdog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm with Anticanman

You definitely want to keep the batteries out of sight (theft) and out of the weather and elements. And out of harms way when bumping into things or running through brush. That's just my opinion.

Are you really having issues with the front end lifting??

Plus it will probably be cheaper to keep them under the hood, even if you buy one of those fancy dual battery setups I've seen on the forum. There are some clever battery box setups available.

Just for general information, the battery and the alternator have completely different purposes. In a typical automotive setup the battery is only used to start the car. Once it is running the alternator supplies power to everything (plus charges the battery). You would only need to upgrade the alternator if you added accessories that consumed more power than the alternator could keep up with. So generally you don't need to consider choosing between adding a battery or upgrading the alternator.
Of course Jeeps aren't typical! So depending on what you want to use the second battery for you will want to consider the type of battery to add (deep cycle or starting battery) and whether to use an isolator or not. If you are considering adding a battery to run a winch that is a logical thing to do. Upgrading an alternator to run a winch is not so logical because of 2 reasons. 1 usually the engine isn't running when operating a winch. 2 even if the engine was running you would have to rev up the engine in order to get the alternator to supply enough power to run it. Plus you would need to upgrade the alternator wiring to really large gauge wire to use all that power.

Hope that helps you through your thought process.
packdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #9
heefageLA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments fellas. The reason behind him wanting dual batteries is when we are winching it pulls the engine down. We dont have any problem with the front end coming up, and honestly we dont have any problem with the battery thats in there.
We have a standard trans. with a hand throttle on the shifter. When winching, all you have to do is rev up the motor with the hand throttle. It acts like a redneck cruise control and keeps the motor at that RPM, then you can winch away with no problem.
heefageLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by packdog View Post
You definitely want to keep the batteries out of sight (theft) and out of the weather and elements. And out of harms way when bumping into things or running through brush. That's just my opinion.

Are you really having issues with the front end lifting??

Plus it will probably be cheaper to keep them under the hood, even if you buy one of those fancy dual battery setups I've seen on the forum. There are some clever battery box setups available.

Just for general information, the battery and the alternator have completely different purposes. In a typical automotive setup the battery is only used to start the car. Once it is running the alternator supplies power to everything (plus charges the battery). You would only need to upgrade the alternator if you added accessories that consumed more power than the alternator could keep up with. So generally you don't need to consider choosing between adding a battery or upgrading the alternator.
Of course Jeeps aren't typical! So depending on what you want to use the second battery for you will want to consider the type of battery to add (deep cycle or starting battery) and whether to use an isolator or not. If you are considering adding a battery to run a winch that is a logical thing to do. Upgrading an alternator to run a winch is not so logical because of 2 reasons. 1 usually the engine isn't running when operating a winch. 2 even if the engine was running you would have to rev up the engine in order to get the alternator to supply enough power to run it. Plus you would need to upgrade the alternator wiring to really large gauge wire to use all that power.

Hope that helps you through your thought process.
Umm Me and everyone I know keep the engine running whenever possible when using our winches. The reason to upgrade the Alt is to recharge the batteries faster after things like winching. No alt puts out enough power to run the winch. Mine pulls up to 600 amps. You find me a YJ alternator for under 10 grand that can do that and we can revisit. You did give alot of good info there up until the end though. The other exception is if you are adding a battery it is probably a good idea to upgrade the alt. You are adding a battery for a reason but it will be useless if you cant charge it back up fast enough. So in conclusion upgrading the alt will cover issue's like some extra lights. But if you are adding a second battery I cant think of many situations you wouldnt upgrade the alt as well. If you keep an Alt running at max all the time its life will be short.

To the OP. Batteries on the bumper are a very very bad idea and no good will come of it. Keep them in the body as intended there is a reason you dont see batteries mounted to bumpers. If it was a good idea there would be a bandwagon here on the forum for it.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i think they hid the batteries on pt cruisers in the front bumper. get in a little fender bender and there goes your ability to start your vehicle
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Batteries have acid in them. Breaking a battery is not good especially in a accident.
pasinbuy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.