Dual alt kits, anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dual alt kits, anyone?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 07-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Jakes93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dual alt kits, anyone?

Hi guys, I need some help findnig a dual alt setup. i have my stock alt the a 117/136 amp alt off a Cherokee and a dual alt kit will be cheaper the a 220+ amp alt. Reason I want it is cause soon I will be running about 2 or 3 batterys, for my Sound system(I have INSANE voltage drop) and auxiliary lights( 2 100 watt KC lights) and possibly a winch soon. so anyone know where i can get a dual alt setup and a belt for it?

Thanks
-Jake

Jakes93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You will have to make one, but why bother? Get a 160a from a durango, 2 die hard platinums, and wire lights up like you are clark griswold
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I suggest a dual battery system using some deep cycle batteries and try the GC alternator. If you have bad voltage drop, you'll want to look into a 1 farad cap wired inline to the amps to replace that drop you're experiencing. There's no way you'll need two alternators. I've dabbled in car audio in the past, what kind of system are we talking about?
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you have insane voltage drop then you have too much I2R losses and resistance... you need *much* bigger cables, try welding cable. Should be less than a quarter ohm per foot in the larger sizes.
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Think of another way as suggested. You alternator is a very large drain on Horsepower to your vehicle. Look at the inside of a exercise bike. They have a alternator to make resistance for the rider. Big drain on your motors power..
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Actually no. The alt doesn't pull any more than a few HP, it isn't physically possible. Simple math: 1 HP = 746 watts. This equals 62 amps at 12 volts. 186 amps = 3 HP at the crankshaft. You will *need* at least 2/0 welding cable all around in order to actually get that much power out of a 186 amp alt. Like I said, check your cable size first and how good are your connections. Before you spend big money, get your total resistance as low as humanly possible.

BTW this applies even more for guys with winches.
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pete, if your figures are right and I have no reason to doubt them. In my opinion that is a lot of HP.

If you can hear your motor slow a bit due to alternator draw which we all have to me that is a lot.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.