Drum Brake Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Drum Brake Question

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 04-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
BGarth13
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Drum Brake Question

So...I tore my drum brakes apart and replaced shoes, wheel cylinders, spring kit, drums, parking brake cables and rear axle lines.
When going back together, the new drums were very tight going back on (the adjustors were all the way in). I took her for a shakedown run and both sides were a smokin'
Any ideas on what I may have f'ed up?

BGarth13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You should be able to see where they rubbed when you take the drums off and look at the shoes.
I recently rebuilt both of mine with parts from oreilly and had no issues.

Also make sure you got the right size drum and shoes etc.

Can you post a pic maybe?
atldude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Make sure you have the shoes on the right way one has more material on it than other. But there should be a small amount of drag on drum brakes. But not so much to smoke when you drive..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
BGarth13
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I tore the drums back down and I installed the shoes wrong on the RR. I swapped the shoes took her for a shakedown and had no smoking brakes. I feel like such a jag. Still a little more drag than I would like when turning by hand... Thanks for the help!
BGarth13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

^^^

I did the same thing so don't feel bad. I just assumed the shoes where the same and installed, then realized they were on wrong.

... not the worst thing I've installed incorrectly and had to tear apart and redo.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
jeepstillhaslif
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
^^^

I did the same thing so don't feel bad. I just assumed the shoes where the same and installed, then realized they were on wrong.

... not the worst thing I've installed incorrectly and had to tear apart and redo.
You have any pics of the setup. My ebrake isnt engaging. I think I put it in the wrong hole when I re installed the new shoes
jeepstillhaslif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If the brakes are set right, with wheel in place, a hefty effort to spin the wheel should result in one full turn hands off.
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Drums are so yesterday, You can do a bolt on Disc brake swap Jeep used parts or new. Why stay with drums!
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
jeepstillhaslif
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich
Drums are so yesterday, You can do a bolt on Disc brake swap Jeep used parts or new. Why stay with drums!
What's the price on this kind of swap
jeepstillhaslif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I can't remember the cost, but last time I looked up a disc brake conversion it was fairly pricy. Plus, I would not spend a dime on a D35 rearend, your money would be better spent simply buying an 8.8 with disc brakes already installed. I've bought 8.8s in just about every flavor from 3.08s to 4.10s, and I've yet to pay more than $150 for a complete rearend with disc brakes. I doubt very seriously you could get a conversion kit cheaper than that, but the 8.8 does require some cutting and welding.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.