Drum Brake Adjustment Problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Drum Brake Adjustment Problems?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Ferenckzy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Drum Brake Adjustment Problems?

Here's the deal:

Replacing drum brakes... new shoes, drums, hardware, cylinder... yeah. We just got one side done when it got dark out, but the other side has plenty of pad life left until Thursday when I can get it done.

Anyways, the drum was a little hard to get on, and we can't figure out why. Everything was re-installed EXACTLY the way it came out, it looks exactly like the other side... I'm lost.

The star adjuster is all the way in, I let the emergency brake have some slack, bled the system multiple times, topped off the fluid, but still, I'm getting the soft pedal, the dash light's on, and the braking power isn't what it normally is, even though the shoes are dragging against the drums a little bit. I even tried that retarded "slam the brakes in reverse" method and they made a popping sound when I went forward again.
Did I miss something??????

'94 WhyJ, Tall, Locked, RCV'd
Ferenckzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Straycur
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferenckzy View Post
Here's the deal:

Anyways, the drum was a little hard to get on, and we can't figure out why. Everything was re-installed EXACTLY the way it came out, it looks exactly like the other side... I'm lost.

The star adjuster is all the way in, I let the emergency brake have some slack, bled the system multiple times, topped off the fluid, but still, I'm getting the soft pedal, the dash light's on, and the braking power isn't what it normally is, even though the shoes are dragging against the drums a little bit. I even tried that retarded "slam the brakes in reverse" method and they made a popping sound when I went forward again.
Did I miss something??????
How long has the light been on? You're talking about the brake light, right? If you had a leak, your proportioning valve may have closed off your rear brakes. Have you bled all the brake lines? You need to start at the farthest away and bleed each one seperately.
If you have done this and can get a decent pedal, you can stand on the pedal with both feet until you hear a "pop", that's what it takes to reset your proportioning valve. Pics may help.
Straycur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you bleed all your wheels or just the one where you replaced the cylinder?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Ferenckzy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oops, I caught my problem... I just got back from work, pulled the drum and, big surprise, a couple springs and the star adjuster fell out. I forgot to tighten the emergency brake cable when I put the new one on. This caused the part of the line inside the drum to push the star adjuster out of whack and hell broke loose. Tightened the cable, reinstalled everything, works perfectly now.

This brings up another question... should there be that much cable in the drum where it would cause another mess if the emergency brake cable became loose while driving, or would the star adjuster be tight enough against the shoes when it self-adjusts to keep everything together?

'94 WhyJ, Tall, Locked, RCV'd
Ferenckzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.