Drop down leaf spring mounts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Drop down leaf spring mounts

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
max1010
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Drop down leaf spring mounts

Has any tried using drop down mounts on the leaf springs for the opposite end that the lift shackle is on? I have seen them for full size pickups so wouldn't they work on a YJ?

max1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The stock mounts are weak as it is. If you want lift, get it with a larger spring.
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, the stock mounts are weak. Ask squishy, he just broke one. They take a lot of side torque. I'm will to bet those lowered mounts are for show. Those pickups probably never leave the mall.

What you need is something like this:

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/WBHGR.html

I broke one once in a mud hole. Here are some pics of them now.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
max1010
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input guys. I will just do the S10 bastard packs.
max1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did Dodge Dakota bastard packs and they worked great for more then two years- no sag but I finally broke one. No fault of the springs- they were used springs that got abused on my Jeep. :-) Actually the bastard pack part had no issues- I broke one of the stock YJ main leaves (the only YJ spring part left).
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
I did Dodge Dakota bastard packs and they worked great for more then two years- no sag but I finally broke one. No fault of the springs- they were used springs that got abused on my Jeep. :-) Actually the bastard pack part had no issues- I broke one of the stock YJ main leaves (the only YJ spring part left).
I'm curious how you broke it.

I have bastard pack junkyard springs on my YJ on the front and I'm worried about bending/breaking a front main spring. Here's a clamp I just put on them to hopefully remedy the situation.

soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I broke my spring first time out with my new LTB tires. They have a lot more grip than I was used to (had been running 2 years on the 35" BFG All Terrains) - new tires grabbed a lot harder than I was used to and I had too much wheel spin (with the old tires wheel spin was the order of the day). Popped a cap on a ujoint but no place to fix it on that trail (was rutted and muddy)- by the time I got turned around and back down the trail the front axle shaft was toast. Found the spring broken when I went to put new shafts in so not sure if it broke on that rock, getting pulled out of the trail by my buddy or from loading onto the trailer in RWD- it was so wet and muddy that the Jeep sipped back down the trailer when I want to load it in RWD and it slipped off my ramps.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.